Green Hornet and Blue Bear advice on wiring up my AW16G

Scooter B

Well I have finished six months of weekend recording desk building and I need to wire up my yet unused Yamaha AW16G (switching from 4-track cassette).

I still get a little confused on the applications of normaled, 1/2 normaled and parallel patch bays.

I primarily record in the bedroom and do more intrumentals by myself with eveil drum machines than vocals but would like to work with some other artists and some groups - just to give you an idea of how I currently work.

To be wired in an efficient yet flexible way for recording and mixing to the AW16G.

Pre's: Joe Meek VC6Q and the VC3, M-Audio Tampa and DMP-3 and a Mackie 1604 I don't expect to use alot unless I mike a drum kit.

Some racked multi effects and compressors (1 FMR and 1 Composer Pro).

Various DI - Sans Amp pedals for guitar and bass plus a V-Amp and a Radial X reamp for electric guitar amp micing. I will also record some stereo mic acoutsic guitar.

One balanced 24 Neutrick patchbay with flipable cards.

One unbalanced 24 B patch bay with 4 way switchable routing.

One 8 chanel XLR snake I primarily expect to use for mics.

Plus most of the cabling I should need.

Since the AW16G allows each of the 16 channel inputs to be assinged to any of the 16 tracks (some are paired stereo) it should be fairly easy to normal most of the inputs...me head just starts spinning on trying to minimize the amount of cable path and minimize the amount of time crawling behiind and under things to repatch for new ideas and applications.

:eek:

Any advice would be appreciated.

My only advice - get an M-Audio C02 (or something similar) to hook up your Tampa to the Yamaha optical inputs so you can bypass the Mic Pres.

The point of using patchbays is that you DON'T need to 'normal' things.

Connect the ins of the AW16g to one bay (probably the balanced one) and the effects/mic pres to the other. That will give you the flexibility to plug any effect or mic into any channel.

My only advice - get an M-Audio C02 (or something similar) to hook up your Tampa to the Yamaha optical inputs so you can bypass the Mic Pres.

I was thinking about that as well but the reviews I have read over at Studio Forums were not very positive about the optical outs/coverters on the Tampa.

The point of using patchbays is that you DON'T need to 'normal' things.

I need to go back and re-read my patchbay information but I thought the point of patchbay normaling was you have everything set up as you would "normaly" use it but you could tap into the patchbay to switch your "normal" set up around during mixdown or as other needs arise.

Scooter B said:
I was thinking about that as well but the reviews I have read over at Studio Forums were not very positive about the optical outs/coverters on the Tampa.

In that case, you may want to consider buying another converter. The digital input is the only way to bypass the pres on most all in one units.

Yo Scotti:

Sorry for the late response; I'm on the golf course this time of year more than on the net, or in my studio -- stupid game.

But, I suggest you latch on to the AW16 site; I think it's still out there.

They answer all the questions you have regarding your set-up.

You will have fun with your unit and do some neat stuff.

Green Hornet :D :D :D

Scooter B said:
I need to go back and re-read my patchbay information but I thought the point of patchbay normaling was you have everything set up as you would "normaly" use it but you could tap into the patchbay to switch your "normal" set up around during mixdown or as other needs arise.

You are confusing the Webster's Dictionary definition of 'normal' with the audio term. Here's a pretty good article:

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/downloads/PHB340_350.pdf

Here's another one:

http://www.songstuff.com/Features/Technical/Patchbays/patchbays.php

Sorry for the late response - I hadn't noticed this thread until now!

I din't know if it will help, but there is a standard patchbay configuration for multi-track recording... maybe it will help you:

PB1: top - sound sources (h/w samplers, drum machine outputs, PODs, etc....)
PB1: bot - console channel inputs
(top half-normalled to bottom)

PB2: top - console INSERT SEND
PB2: bot - console INSERT RTN

PB3: top - console tape out/buss outputs
PB3: bot - multitrack recorder track inputs

PB4: top - multitrack recorder track outputs
PB4: bot - console tape return/MIX B input

BTW - "half-normalled" means that you can tap a connection of the top row of the bay without interrupting flow to the bottom row of the bay

Thanks Bear and Hornet,

So the 1/2 normaled option would be useful for multing signals/chanels?

Yeah green wings I hang out at the AW16G site too and it has a lot of good info specific to the G but I seem to get better more informed awnsers here and at studio forums for general recording questions.

I guess I will check with the gang at the G site and also
1. List all my gear with all the ins and outs.
2. Diagram it out on paper.

Back