Green Glue and a basement ceiling

jonmmartin

On another thread I read that to more effectively "sound proof" a basement ceiling, it is better to use those hanging clips with U channel and 2 layers of sheet rock glued together with green glue then to use RC and two layers of sheet rock attached to the RC. Using this green glue method will keep lower frequency sounds in check better then the RC method. I have 2 questions:
1. Does this green glue method really work better?
2. What is green glue and where can I get it?

Hello Jon, I've personally never done either, but I believe the Risc isolators and hat channel have better specs than RC. As to the green glue, go here and search for all the posts by Brian Dayton. I think he is the inventor. He also is a research professional in the field of acoustical transmission through materials.
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewforum.php?f=1

He has written many threads relative to your questions.
Persoanally, I was under the impression that fastening the panels together with screws was better for low frequency transmission loss, but I may have got confused. Woudn't be the first time. :D
fitZ

Hello florian, thanks for those links. I completely lost track of that thread on dampening. Great stuff. But I'm still confused by some of it. Personally, for a small home studio with barebone budgets, GG would really jack up the price/performance of a simple 2 layer TWO leaf wall/ceiling. Where I think it would really shine, is in floors like mine. My studio is on the second floor with 2 exterior walls, and half the floor is over an exposed porch. I never thought that I could improve the iso of the floor, so improving the wall/ceiling TL seemed ludicrous. But after reading the info on these links, NOW I'm really considering it.
Thanks again.
fitZ

Back