Great V/O condenser mic for $250: Rode NT-1 or others??

hugocat

Hey there -

I'd welcome a little advice from anyone on this matter......I'm rebuilding my home studio after a long break. I'm only going to be recording voiceovers.

Last time, I used a Rode NT1 and was planning on another (or NT1-a). However, I just thought I'd ask: can anyone suggest another studio condenser mic at the same price or less which would do instead? My absolute max budget would be $250.....

Like everyone else I'm keen to save some $$ without compromising quality. I'll be using a USB interface to a PC and a preamp such as a Studio Projects VTB1.

Any advice appreciated!!:D
Many thanks
J

Go used: EV RE-20 or Shure SM7b. The de facto standards for V/O. At $300+ they are a bit above your price range new, but well worth it; and you can always go Craigslist or eBay.

G.

Many thanks for those suggestions.....

I'm now reading good things about the MXL 67G......People seem to rate it on a par with the NT1, and suggest that it's a bit darker-sounding: anyone have experience?:confused:

J

I'm now reading good things about the MXL 67G......People seem to rate it on a par with the NT1, and suggest that it's a bit darker-sounding: anyone have experience?:confused:

J

A great little mic :D and even greater if you get it modified! :D :cool: :D
But I prefer the SM7b

J

Naw. It's not nearly as bad as an NT1. It would be a good budget choice.

Interesting. Here in London, every VO/audio-post studio I've been in it's Neumann Neumann Neumann!
It's that British accent that requires it? ;) :D

Seriously, it's always interesting to see how trends can go geographical or play colloquial favorites. Of course nobody is going to say that a nice U47 isn't going to be a fine mic for almost anything, including VO. While I can't give you exact statistics, over here in the new world there is a large propensity towards the two LDDs I listed for everything spoken from VO to radio hosting. Of course you'll find an occasional Neumann or RCA-style ribbon in there as well.

G.

In my work in the VO industry in L.A., the standard mics used in working studios are the Sennheiser 416 shotgun, and the Neumann U87 LDC.
I see the RE-20 and SM7 dynamic mics are used a lot in radio, but see them less often in a full-time, dedicated VO studio.
As far as LDCs go, you may have to try a few before you get one that's a good fit with your voice. I've had good success with the MXL V67, and especially with the MXL V77 (my personal poor artist's version of the U87). On the other hand, their V69 sounded awful on my voice, so it's important to try them first if you can, before investing. I've also got an ADK A51s, and others that have come and gone.
I know of some VO artists who do use the Rode, but I have no personal experience with it. The bottom line, of course, is the quality of sound that you're able to produce. If it sounds good, chances are that nobody will be questioning what gear was used to produce it. If it sounds bad, that's when you've got some splainin' to do.

As a British V/O recently relocated to LA, I agree that the standard in British studios in my experience has been Neumann......so far, it does seem to me that there's more variety here in LA.

I'm now researching the CAD Trion 6000 as a possibility. My brain hurts.

It's that British accent that requires it? ;) :D

Ha ha, maybe!

Like whyseye mentioned, I've noticed 416s seem to be used a lot for VO in the USA, and when we link up with studios in LA they often request we use U87s... I've used 416s only ever for ADR myself.

But definitely in London it's a Neumann culture pretty much everywhere. 103s seem popular in a lot of places, along with U87s.

What about some of the new dynamic mics like the Heil PR40? It's been getting a lot of buzz and I know that, at least for me, it has been magic in getting a cleaner recording with fewer ambient problems that I had with my condensers. I'm just getting into voice-over and was wondering if this mic will be suitable.

I used to use a pair of NT-1 quite a bit back in the day. They aren't bad for their price but I don't think you'll be thrilled with them for voice overs.

As was mentioned the SM7 will probably be the best bet in your price range.

I know you said you don't want to go over the 250 price range but for voice over work you're really going to want to try to do some upgrading. (I hope I don't sound snobby). Voice overs are a very "delicate" (for lack of better word) signal to record. They are a lower volume to capture and don't have other instruments to fill in around them. Any deficiencies in your signal chain are magnified in voice overs.

Charlie McEvoy
www.intuneaudio.ca
twitter.com/charlie_mcevoy

I think you're right: the NT1 will be too bright for my voice.

I should have made it clear: this is a beginning rig to get me back in the game: I regard it only as a starting point, and the mic will be an early upgrade.

I'm leaning toward an SM-7 or the V67G......or a CAD Trion 6000 if I can find on used.

I think you're right: the NT1 will be too bright for my voice.

I should have made it clear: this is a beginning rig to get me back in the game: I regard it only as a starting point, and the mic will be an early upgrade.

I'm leaning toward an SM-7 or the V67G......or a CAD Trion 6000 if I can find on used.

That being the case, get the SM7 and skip the upgrade down the road (or Rode. Sorry couldn't resist). Buy once.

Back