great trick for getting rid of hiss ...(better sound basically)

jimi

i dont know if people actually do this but thats whatu do
make the tape speed high and turn the pitch control all the way up basically make the tape run very fast and record that way
it will take more tape but the quality of the sound is wayyyy better seriously it makes a huge difference !!
let me know of what u think about this
and if anyone knows engeniring wise if thats true like fast tape = better quality on the mk42411 let me know
THANKSSSSSS

This won't do much to get rid of hiss at all. The hiss is more a matter of how much magnetism you can put onto tape, so you'll get less hiss with better tape and wider tracks. Speed wil mostly affect frequency response (although nothing is that straight and easy with tape, but as long as you stick with *mostly* you can pretend it is) and if you use double speed tape you probably have enough high frequencies anyway.

i have a question which might sound stupid whats the difference between analog and tascam ??? i know i sound immature and stupid but i really wanna know all the differences ?

The difference is that tascam is a company that makes digital products as well as analog. I have the tascam us-428 which is a USB enabled mixer.

in analog tape recording you are recording sound waves to a magnetic medium which represents the sound rather converting to digital representation of the sound.

oh,

and i'd always heard that wider tracks makes for less bleed, and faster tape makes for cleaner recordings, but regebro is probably correct, because it makes more mathematical sense for him to be correct.

recording faster isn't going to reduce hiss any more than recording 48khz will reduce hiss, but recording faster should make it easier to get those higher frequencies to tape because you are getting more of the high frequency wave on the tape as it crests and troughs.

way to go regebro.

i still dont know the difference between analog and digital i mean i know one is tape other is cds or hard drive but whats the difference in terms of sound quality,hiss, noise,bleeding,effects, overall control of recording??

no hiss from digital. even if its digital tape, you are reading binary data off of the tape, so there's no hiss.

generally speaking it is less costly to acquire quality digital recording equipment which can be used to make a smei-professional recording than it is to get analog gear to do the same.

no bleed from digital hard drive recording.

it is said that digital recorders have no noise, but that's not true, and dither is noise as well.

the best thing about DAW recording is that you can buy a single DirectX dynamics processor and use an instance of it on as many tracks as you like. whereas with analog, you'd have to buy more individual gear.

cool // however thats what u said

the best thing about DAW recording is that you can buy a single DirectX dynamics processor and use an instance of it on as many tracks as you like. whereas with analog, you'd have to buy more individual gear.

please xplain more i dont quite understand that statment whats DAW and DirectX ?

Back