Great rhythm players.

64Firebird

Lead players get so much attention and that's only half the game. So, here's a list of a few of my fav rhythm players.

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan
2. Keith Richards
3. Malcolm Young
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Steve Cropper

eddie van halen

yeah, everyone always talks about whether they like/hate his solos, but it's his rhythm playing that was the killer deal....

there are better technical rhythm players, but eddie rocked most intensely.....

there are also a lot of very basic players that have a good feel...

i'd have to put lee rittenour in there.....

also, charo.

:D

Really, when it comes down to it, I could just start listing guitarists I admire in general, guys who play well in every aspect. But I'll try to specify what makes these guys top notch:

re: Pete Townshend, he just did stuff with chord voicings that hadn't been done previously in a rock context. "Pinball Wizard" still fires me up to this day.

Hmm. How 'bout Dean DeLeo of STP? Very rarely plays lead breaks, nice tight sound that always moves the song forward.

I'd have to agree re: Malcolm Young and Jerry Cantrell, too. Without Malcolm you have no AC/DC, plain and simple. And JC has it all going on with dark sounds, full chords that still come through well even though distorted out to here.

And Nuno Bettencourt. Fiendish player. He really blurs the boundary between rhythm and lead, which is great. Plus his songwriting is top-notch.

Here's a big "hell yeah" for Alex Lifeson. He plays with so much range, tonally and stylistically, that it's staggering. One of my first guitar heroes back in the day.

Okay, enough for now. :D

Cantrell for sure...Hetfield too. Dave Mustaine for sure, altho the later stuff really isn't too challenging for the most part. Max Cavallera...Chuck Schuldiner (RIP).

In addition to many already mentioned:

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman of Slayer, not only because they can play so damn fast, but they play together with such precision.

Cy

How about Mick Ralphs of Bad Company or Paul Kossoff of Free?? Jimmy Page played some good rhythm. Randy Bachman.

Chuck Berry (...nuf said)

Bonnie Raitt (...great slide player, too!)

Glenn Campbell (...he was the most-requested studio guitarist from the mid to late 60's)

Grant Green (...Jazz-guitar legend)

Pete Townshend (...how can he NOT be mentioned in this group!)

Michael Naismith (sp?) (...the Monkees guitarist was the only REAL musician of the group, and an excellent player)

GhettoWayz said:
all my faves have been mentioned.
i agree with most of you guys.

but what about Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top?

he rocks!

a-how how how how

I put The Reverend Billy F Gibbons in my first list.

Back