Great mics with smooth highs.

CCS

Just curious to know what each of your favorite condensor mics are that have sweet midrange and smooth highs?

Without a doubt, when I need these two things accomplished in the studio there is only one place to reach, for the AEA R84. That mic, top to bottom, is smooth.

War

My Schoeps CMC6 mk41's have the smoothest highs of any mic's I've used. Even more so than my m160 ribbon mic, but the ribbon's midrange is sweeter.

Tim

AEA R84 is good for female singing vocals, both male and female narration, and mike'n up acoustic guitars, horns, strings, etc.

The ATM 3035 is one of the best condenser mics for the money ($200 incl shock mount). I compared it to my Neumann TLM-103 ($1,000 w/ NO shock mount) on my vocals and could NOT tell the difference at all. Also sounds great for bluesy slide guitar (cuts thru a mix of other instruments well).

I hated the AT3035.... everything sounded dull and boring through it (and I mean everything... vocals, acoustics, overheads... any general rock sound). It was like a vacuum for energy.

Blade_Jones said:
AEA R84 is good for female singing vocals, both male and female narration, and mike'n up acoustic guitars, horns, strings, etc.
...and drums, and many male singers too, and kicks butt on guitar cab mic'ing whether heavy distortion or clean, and percussion, and... :cool:

A lot of people seem to discount the mic for use on male singers but I don't know why. It, like any other mic, can just nail it. I totally agree on the narration comment, I do some voice work myself and have found it to work exceptionally well on my voice and others.

War

Back