Great Electric Tones

snipeguy

Andy Goldsworthy Wannabe
OK, Shoot me if this has been done. I'm mostly an electric player and I love players that have a signature sound that is recognizable and strong. Among my faves are Richard Thompson, David Hidalgo, Jeff Beck, Albert Collins and many more. Has anyone got a player they that like who maybe hasn't got the attention they deserve. Do tell.

I don't get the attention I deserve. And I've got tone all over the place from aaaaaccchhhh to zzzzzzppppffft.

Snipeguy,

I happen to love all those players you mentioned, with the exception of Dave Hidalgo, whom I do not know. Beck, Thompson, and Collins all have wicked tone.

I think out of those Thompson gets the least props. I don't like a lot of his songs, but damn that guy is a good guitar player. I got this three disc set a bunch of years ago, a wealth of guitar studying.

I like this guy Bill Nelson from a band called Bebop Deluxe. Very versatile and inventive guitarist. Everything from straight up rocking to soundscape type stuff. Always something unexpected when you think you know what's coming next. Not really a signature tone, but an overlooked player IMO.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, probably DOES get all the attention he deserves, but his tone really is so instantly recognizable.

Put Mark Knopfler on the list too

boingoman said:
Snipeguy,

I like this guy Bill Nelson from a band called Bebop Deluxe. Very versatile and inventive guitarist. Everything from straight up rocking to soundscape type stuff. Always something unexpected when you think you know what's coming next. Not really a signature tone, but an overlooked player IMO.

True, Bill is overlooked, perhaps because when you listen to the first Bebop Deluxe albums it is almost like you hear a Hendrix at work, than later Bebop started to sound like bands like Talking Heads, or at least they were going for a similar kind of thing, so perhaps Bill is only known in "inner circles" and never made it to mass appeal as Hendrix or Talking Heads did.

I just wonder how many players there are that none of us have heard about :) there will always be someone who will come up with an obscure name :D .............so let us wait and see and read..........and enjoy.......... ;)

Eddie

Who did the "Reelin' in the Years" w/Steely Dan? And "China Grove" w/Doobie Bros? Those are some great tones.

I dig The Edge's sound from U2 a lot - but then, he's sure not lacking attention. Long live the delay pedal.

apl said:
Who did the "Reelin' in the Years" w/Steely Dan? And "China Grove" w/Doobie Bros? Those are some great tones.

I'm pretty sure that was Denny Dias. Awesome tone. Doobie guitarists (at the time of China Grove) were Tom Johnston & Patrick Simmons

boingoman said:
with the exception of Dave Hidalgo, whom I do not know.
Hidalgo plays with Los Lobos and amazes me with the scope of his playing. He has a full pallette of sounds and uses them with perfection. Los Lobos is my favourite working band at the moment. I'd reccomend any of of their albums. I have a pristine vinyl copy of "Will The Wolf Survive" that is amazing. And yes, the vinyl sounds way better to my ears. Another thread maybe?

timmerman said:
True, Bill is overlooked, perhaps because when you listen to the first Bebop Deluxe albums it is almost like you hear a Hendrix at work, than later Bebop started to sound like bands like Talking Heads, or at least they were going for a similar kind of thing, so perhaps Bill is only known in "inner circles" and never made it to mass appeal as Hendrix or Talking Heads did.

Interesting analysis. :) They definitely tried on a number of things, that's for sure, from short rock to pop to long stuff like Modern Music. I just got a couple of his solo albums, am psyched to see what they are like. Quirky, I bet, at least.

I got into him because I read a Randy Rhoads interview where Randy said Bill Nelson was his favorite electric player. Randy definitely had some Bill Nelson in him, in terms of guitar concepts, if not style or tone.

timmerman said:
I just wonder how many players there are that none of us have heard about :) there will always be someone who will come up with an obscure name :D .............so let us wait and see and read..........and enjoy.......... ;)

Eddie

That's my favorite part of these kind of threads.

Back