Graphics and Extra Ram

Mole

Thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier question about why the graphics in cubase had slowed down after I had installed extra ram. I followed your suggestion of seeing if the ram was mismatched and it was. However, I have the correct ram in there now and I still have the problem. When I take the extra ram out, the problem disappears. So, could it be that I am experiencing a kind of bottleneck, with the extra ram pushing data through quicker than my crummy onboard graphics chipset can cope with? And, if so, should I keep the ram or take it out? Does it offer any real advantage on the purely audio side (i.e running plugins like Halion, for example) which would make it worth putting up with the slowed down graphics? Or would the audio advantages be negligible. I would appreciate your thoughts,
Mole.

I don't remember what kind of system you had, but it could be a bad bank in your motherboard. Here's a remote possibility: Most new MB's only require 1 ram chip per bank, but some older ones require 2. If this is the case, the bank must be full with 2 of the same size and type of memory.

Check your motherboard - generally, they're printed on the board, starting with BANK 0, BANK 1, etc...

I'd be surprised if that's the case, but hell ...it's worth a shot.

Forgive my ignorance, but you have lost me a bit there. My pc is about 2 years old. It has a pentium 3 650mhz processor and came with 128 mb of sd100 ram. There is one extra slot on the motherboard in which I had inadvertently put 128 mb of sd133 ram. I replaced this with an equivalent amount of sd100 ram and had same problem with graphics. I will have another look inside and see if that helps me make sense of your suggestion. Sorry, quite new to all of this and groping my forward slowly and painfully. But thanks for your reply. All suggestions gratefully received. But do you think I should keep the ram, even if it causes problems with screen redraws? Will it help with other aspects of recording?
Thanks,
Mole.

Well, I guess the thing is that the extra ram shouldn't be slowing anything down. If you've only got 2 slots on your motherboard, then my previous suggestion is null. I could explain the memory bank thing, but if you've only got 2 slot, then that's not it. Not to mention your computer is too new to have a bank configuration like that. You might want to get a hold of some diagnostic software (like Norton, or Sandra) to help determine where the problem is.

Back