Graphic EQ

ericlingus

What graphic eq do you recommend for recording guitar. I am borrowing a boss GE-7 and it really helps my sound. I am inserting in the effects loop. What method do you guys prefer? I first put it in the input of my amp like I would a distortion pedal but I think the other way is better. I've heard that graphic eq'a shouldn't really be used for recording but it seems to have helped me a lot. Anyone else here use a graphic eq for recording guitars? Which has worked best for you? Thanks.

yep, a graphic eq needs to go in the effect loop to really be effective. :D

i used a graphic eq long ago until i realized how bad it really sounded (that same one as a matter of fact). my advice is to use it for slightly reducing problem frequencies but don't use it to shape your sound. pretty much the same deal as when eqing tracks.

that's what I really use it for. I Just use it for cutting some problem frequencies like the lows. My amp is really bassy even with the bass on 0. So the graphic eq really helps with that. So yeah I really just cut the lows and low mids a little and maybe boost a tad in the 6k range.

My question would be, what are you doing with the EQ? Are you boosting stuff or cutting out problems?
I wouldn't recommend an EQ on the guitar for recording, but I guess if you like the sound that's all that matters.

edit....so I got sidetracked and didn't see your last post.
Getting rid of excessive bass probably ain't a bad idea.

yea, i would use it for getting rid of some boominess but probably would'nt do that hi boost you mentioned. if it works it works though. whatever works for you man.

actually I cut a tiny bit in the 3.2k range and then boosted a tad in the 6.4k range. I think it sounds good like that. But who knows, I change my mind all the time.

i like my GE 7....i use it to record, especially in a 'live' sense, its great for cutting through the mix, and it basically does what id do myself with parametric or eq curve. Im not sure about running it through the pre-amp...i usually save that for time modulation (reverbs and delay). Itd be like running your wah through the loop as theyre both filters.

Back