Graphic EQ Recommendations - Live

eyeteeth

I'm just finishing putting together a small PA system for one of my groups... 100-300 seat venues, so potentially full sound reinforcement.

But... not over the top. We're fairly self monitoring on stage levels, so it's small enough we're hoping to run it ourselves... set it and go.

I'm researching EQ's and looking for recommendations... Affordable, still sounds good, doesn't add a lot of noise to the signal. I'm looking for Bang for the buck.If that's truely Behringer... so be it I guess...

So, whatcha think... whatcha used... whatcha really want?
Thanks.

I would definately look away from Behringer. The Behringer EQ's are very noisy compared to most, and they just don't even function all that well. On the "affordable" side of Graphic EQ's, I would look into DBX, but I would seriously consider looking for a used Ashly though. The Ashly is much nicer than the more affordable DBX graphs.

Yeah, skip the Behri, and ART also. The current tech at the bigger level is to use a speaker processor. It has eq, limiting, crossovers, etc. You can dial in your system to sound it's best by itself, and make adjustments to suit whatever room you are in. In this case, the Behringer is a great inexpensive option. I find it to sound better than the Driverack PA or even 260, which is a lot more money.:)

DBX would be on my list, for awhile I used one in my home theater, which it just killed a Alesis that I also had at the time. Nice, quiet, smooth, is how I would describe it, 1231 was the model number I think, or was it 231?

I'd second the DBX. Of course my first choice would be a Klark-Teknik DN360, but you did say affordable. But then again, if you can pick a used one for around $650, it might be worth it - cuz in a couple years, you can sell it for $650.

Keep in mind that a speaker processor really is not much of a replacement for a graphic EQ. Graphic EQ's in a live setting often need to be used very quickly. Unless you have a system with a good remote, using a processor will not be very helpful in this situation.

Keep in mind that a speaker processor really is not much of a replacement for a graphic EQ. Graphic EQ's in a live setting often need to be used very quickly. Unless you have a system with a good remote, using a processor will not be very helpful in this situation.

True enough. A graphic is easy enough to add in, though. At the very least it's worth it to sit with your system and graphic and find a starting curve so every time you go to a venue you can start at a place where you know your system is already dialed in, and adjust to taste for the room. And really, if you are doing it yourself, you rarely have time or need to make fast adjustments anyway. If something takes off in the middle of a song, you are probably screwed no matter what.:p

Back