gradual lag

CDT-sHaG

I just upgraded my pc (my old hardware died during a move..that's another story :))..

I added a new MB, proc and mem. I also added a new graphics card and HD. the sytem is very stable (on everything else) and not overclocked or anything.

I am using the following:

abit nf7-s MB
AMD sempron 2400+
1gb ram
WD 80gb 7200rpm ide drive (main HD)
maxtor 40gb 7200rpm drive (2nd HD)

running: xp pro, sp2

I'm using 3.3 and the onboard sound on the nf7-s for now.

I'm having a problem with recorded tracks. I always add in a wav exported from fruity loops for drums, add bass, then guitars and then vocals..

what is happening: the drum wav track and bass track are fine. when I record the 1st guitar, everything is fine until I play it back...it gradually gets out of sync as the track plays...I noticed this adding a 2nd guitar just now. in a 5 1/2 min. song it's all out of wack by 2min.

all of my drivers are up to date...there is nothing running in the background when I record.

I have the follwoing settings to choose from in audio devices:

preferences, audio devices (playback and recording):

MME: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
1-MME-Wave Mapper
NVIDIA ASIO
WDM: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

right now I have the defaults loaded:

1-MME-Wave Mapper for playback and recording. I tried the ASIO but got a warning that multiple I/O devices were selected...I ignored that and tried to play back the file..it was a mess (jarbled sounding).

I have the buffering set to high (default), sampling freq. at 44.1, normal program priority..everything else default.

any ideas? I know this sound card isn't the best but surely I can record 8-10 tracks.

Thank you,

Chris

I should not even try to respond to these "over my head" type questions, except that I THOUGHT I noticed the same thing when playing with buffering settings last night....

I think that when I turned my buffering setting to a lower setting, soloed one track and then un-soloed it, all of the other tracks came in out of sync. It only did it once, and I couldnt get it to repeat this phenomenon, so it could have just been me....

Worth a try, and easily correctible if I'm wrong (which I probably am), go into "file", it's there somewhere...

Back