Grace 101. What should I expect.

JesusFreak

Hey Guys,

I'm tired of dealing with cheap crap. However, I only bought what I have because that is all I could afford.

So now that I am mostly doing things on my own and don't need several of the things I have, I'm thinking about trading in a few pieces of gear and take a step up.

My question is this: I've been looking at the Grace 101 mic pre. I have used 4 different ones. Audio Buddy, Blue Tube, Behringer T1953, and an ART Dual MP. I've already gotten rid of the audio buddy and blue tube. I'm thinking of trading in the Behringer, and ART and a DBX 166xl and maybe a SM57 and see how much I could get for them and then spend a little extra on the Grace.

So what kind of difference in sound should I expect?? Is it going to be night and day?? I'm going to be mostly recording Vocals and acoustic guitar with it.

I guess I'm just wanting to know if it is going to be that big of a step above what I have now or what.

Thanks for all of your time and God Bless!

probably great for acoustics, not great for vocals
if you're looking for flavor

try the summit audio 2ba-221 altomusic will sell it to you for 470...that's 120 below what everyone else sells it for

The Grace 101 is a good preamp. I've found it useful for a lot of things.

At the bottom of my review is a link to a recording tracked through the Grace 101:

www.mojopie.com/grace101.html

I think it's pretty good on vocals. The only other mic preamp I recommend in that price range is the FMR RNP.

Either will be a significant improvement over what you've used before.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

JesusFreak, how would you be running the Grace 101 - or any new pre?
Do you have a way to get the signal straight to an A/D converter and into your computer system?

I just ask, because if you're going to plug something like a transformerless 101 into the XLR in's of a DAW - and actually go through the DAW's pre – the you're not going to get the same benefit out of something like the 101. If that's the case you'd be better off with something like an RNP or a Summit 2BA-221.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

KMS44 into a Focusrite PVMP using the S/PDIF out into a D1200 (bypassing the pres) or RME Audio 96/8Digi PAD card, either way sounds great! May get me a baby blue bottle next just to see what the fuss is about!

JesusFreak said:
So what kind of difference in sound should I expect?? Is it going to be night and day?? I'm going to be mostly recording Vocals and acoustic guitar with it.

I guess I'm just wanting to know if it is going to be that big of a step above what I have now or what.

It probably won't be "night and day," as you put it . . . but it really depends on a lot of other factors; namely what kinds of mics you've got in your collection, the quality of your accoustic space and the rest of your signal chain, etc.

I've heard "night-and-day" type differences after using different or better mics. No doubt about it; the right mic makes a huge difference.

Better instruments are also the type of thing that make for "night-and-day" type differences, I've noticed. If you've got anything less than a top-of-the-line guitar, then I'm afraid you'll never be as satisfied with your mics or pres or what have you. In other words, when switching out to better / different guitars, the entire sound basically changes and it's often for the better.

Room accoustics are really the X-factor in the whole equation. If you've got stellar treatment, then you've got a lot of new options open to you in terms of mic'ing. For starters, you can back the mic off a foot or two more and avoid a lot of proximity effect -- without making it sound like crap. You can also experiment with a lot of different patterns and angles . . . and suddenly those $35 Behringer omnis don't sound so bad. :D

Mic pres are one of those things where it's really kind of tough to pinpoint. Differences are often subtle, cumulative, unpredictable. The difference they make will also vary depending on the mic. But that's not to say that they won't make a difference, because they absolutely and without question do. And the Grace Design is certainly a highly-regarded option, capable of outstanding results in the right conditions.

Just make sure you have your priorities in their proper order before you plunk down $600 on a single-channel mic pre.

Hey all,

I've been a little indisposed here lately and that's why I haven't responded.

Did want to say thanks to all of you who have responded. Your advice, as always, is invaluable.

I have decided for now, to wait on the Grace. I needed to buy some new speakers and stuff for playing live and the money just was more needed there.

But I do eventually want to get some high quality stuff. So for now, I think I'm just going to do a ton of experimenting with what I have and see if I can't make it give me the sound I want. I have a friend that has a bunch of mic's he is wanting to get rid of and I'll check into doing some mic upgrading first I think. The best mic I have is a Rode NT1a. Not very good but does get the job done.

Anyway, thanks againt to all of you for your help and advice.

The difference between the Grace preamp and what you are currently using would not be cumulative or subtle. The improvement would be obvious and dramatic. To say there is a subtle difference between the Audio Buddy and a Grace preamp is ridiculous.

Couple a fine preamp like the Grace with a good mic and your recording chain will sound dramatically better. Then you need a couple channels of really fine AD conversion and you'll be in a whole new league.

The Grace will be stellar on acoustic guitar, as the detail will be wonderful.

I own a Grace 201, and have heard some of the other preamps you mention, so I speak from direct knowledge. Your idea of dumping a pile of crap gear and buying less but better quality gear is right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

Back