GR-1nv verses Avalon M5

rdozz

I own a GR-1NV already and would like to add another nice pre to my setup. I currently have a GR, The Brick, RNP and MP20 (burr brown mod). Would the M5 be a good addition or should I get another GR? I have never heard a M5 so your input would be greatly appreciated. I record all styles of music.

Thanks,
Rob

An m5 would certainly be a good addition. So would a Chnadler TG2, or a Daking channel strip, a UA 610 etc... :D

rdozz said:
I own a GR-1NV already and would like to add another nice pre to my setup. I currently have a GR, The Brick, RNP and MP20 (burr brown mod). Would the M5 be a good addition or should I get another GR? I have never heard a M5 so your input would be greatly appreciated. I record all styles of music.

Thanks,
Rob

An M5 is a good addition to your pre-amp locker. Avalon M5s are very clean and open. The other pre-amps you have have their own sonic signature that is anything but clean. Good to have 1 or 2 clean channels.

I agree with Acorec. Since you already have a Great River (which I think is one of the best 1st preamps on the market), a nice smooth clean preamp may be a great way to go for your second preamp. The Avalon will get you into that range without too considerable of an expense.

one more question for the great minds of HR. Where does Sebatron VMP-2000e fall as far as sonic quality compared to the other units mentioned.

Thanks so much,
Rob

personally, I have not been overly impressed with the Sebatron stuff. It does have a sort of unique character, and is very fairly priced. I should revise my statement. I was impressed, given the price point, but nowhere near what the Sebatron touters seem to be.

Back