Gotta new toy. :D

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, gotta crow about this somewhere and this seems like the best place.

Picked up a Digitech RP-3 last night.

I know, I know- old multi-effects unit, what's the big deal? Shouldn't I be saving money for boutique pedals?

$30 is the big deal, and that I have a light weight, compact alternative to my growing pedal board, and some fun toys that I wouldn't otherwise have.

So the guy was selling it because:
a) he couldn't figure it out
b) he wanted to get radiohead tickets
c) he's rather have pedals
d) it had a few problems.

The problems- loose expression pedal and flakey 3rd pedal switch- were fixed withing 10 minutes of getting my hands on a screw driver. And compared to some of the rack effects I have in the studio this thing is a piece of cake to figure out.

The sounds aren't *fantastic* but with a bit of tweaking its pretty darned good. Especially if you don't have a cranking amp to put it through. And if I want to get fancy I can throw the OCD in front of it and call it done.

I'm pleased. I wouldn't pay too much more for it than I did, but I think it was $30 really well spent.

Back to creating a few new patches. :D

-Chris

:eek:

that guy's going to see Radiohead?! sounds like he's got his priorities sorted... i wouldn't just sell an effects box to get tickets to see 'em, i'd sell my own dear grandma. tickets go so fast in Britain, it's rediculous. i suppose its a smaller country - anyone can travel anywhere to see anyone, pretty much.

and the effect thing sounds good. i get a bit annoyed with having to setup my pedal setup every time my band practises/plays... i'm going to build/buy a pedal board as soon as funds allow.

Andy

Hey Andy,

I have a couple pedal boards. Small version and larger version- both made for just a few dollars. Velcro on the back of the pedal, velcro on a board... voila! I already had the cables, etc. so making the boad is really simple. No need to wait until you've saved up for that $$$$ premade board.

The neat thing about the multieffect do-hickey is that everything is self contained- EQ settings, reverb, etc- stuff you might depend on a particular amp for. I could plug the thing into clock-radio (or any availible amp) and be fairly certain of the sounds I'd get out of it. I wouldn't want it *instead* of my pedals- but it offers a lot of fun and good sound for situations where I'm feeling a bit lazy.

Thanks, Fusion. The sounds are pretty good! I'm surprised. The things I miss the most are on on/off switch for the wah (have to change patches to turn it on and off) and the tap tempo feature the Boss DD-5 delay has. The overdrive isn't quite as nice as the Fulltone OCD, but its close enough if you tweak it a bit. Still responds more or less the way it should when I roll down the volume, too. Not quite as sensative, but for $30 - and everything else it does really well- I'm not going to complain!

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
OK, gotta crow about this somewhere and this seems like the best place.

Picked up a Digitech RP-3 last night.

I know, I know- old multi-effects unit, what's the big deal? Shouldn't I be saving money for boutique pedals?

$30 is the big deal, and that I have a light weight, compact alternative to my growing pedal board, and some fun toys that I wouldn't otherwise have.

So the guy was selling it because:
a) he couldn't figure it out
b) he wanted to get radiohead tickets
c) he's rather have pedals
d) it had a few problems.

The problems- loose expression pedal and flakey 3rd pedal switch- were fixed withing 10 minutes of getting my hands on a screw driver. And compared to some of the rack effects I have in the studio this thing is a piece of cake to figure out.

The sounds aren't *fantastic* but with a bit of tweaking its pretty darned good. Especially if you don't have a cranking amp to put it through. And if I want to get fancy I can throw the OCD in front of it and call it done.

I'm pleased. I wouldn't pay too much more for it than I did, but I think it was $30 really well spent.

Back to creating a few new patches. :D

-Chris

Good score Chris!! :)

What are you, an idiot? :confused:

This is obviously the best place to crow about it!!!!!!! :D

Congrats and enjoy......

Man, this could get addictive. I haven't played electric guitar this much since High School, probably. Except maybe the 3 hour gig I had in Hawaii a few months ago...

The past couple days I've been digging out all my old electric guitar stuff, checking out cheap deals nearby to supplement what I don't have, and reassembling a gig-worthy setup or 2 for some up coming gigs I have as a lead guitarist.

Probably spent at least 4 hours a day for the past 3 or 4 days lost in the guitar. You know, the kind of thing where you plug in at 10pm just to fool around with an idea you had earlier only to look up and its suddenly 2am?

Anyway- I hope every new toy purchase is like this from now on. :D

Take care,
Chris

Back