Gothic/Doom Song...

Hardcore

I've got a new song up entitled "I am Alone". It's much heavier than anything I've done so far. The mix on this one is almost where I want it, with some adjustments I want to make. I won't tell you cuz I want to see if my opinion matches yours. Take a listen and tell me what you think. Critique everything if you like, from the song itself to musicianship and the mix.

http://www.mp3.com/Nathan_P__Holly

Thank you for you time,

The Management :D

Damn dude you got "doomed" to the second page pretty quick. Here are my thoughts:

Fisrt off it's really not my style but the song apeared to be well played. The guitars sounded "podded". Not sure if that's true, but that's what they sounded like. The drums were kinda' "wimpy" for this type song also. Vocals were clear and good. If nothing else you get a bump and maybe some of the more experienced guys can offer more help.

Dennis

--------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I have no clue what I'm talking about.

I expected that. I'm pretty new here and haven't reviewed too many other songs yet. But...

Yeah, POD. I haven't really put much effort into finding my own sound yet (just modified patches) so it's pretty easy to pick out if you know the sound. And could you elaborate on the drums? Did you think the sound and tone was wimpy or the programming? And thanks for the feedback.

ok i even signed up ..lol

on phones..
guitar tones are good and beefy!.
drums could maybe come up in the mix..?...just a tad..this style needs "feel it in your chest bass drum "thumping!!
the acoustic guitar sound is killer.
the mix overall is pretty damn good how long you been at it??
the vocals sit pretty nice...doubled ?
when it kicks in around 2:50 or so ..love that part...it reminds me of "one" by metallica..kinda sorta:D to me i wanted to hear the drums kick in double time after the spoken word part...to really start driving...then dissolve back into that cool acoustic part.

just my opinion
jamal

I've been doing this a little over a year.

There are actually 4 vocal tracks in there. 2 in the main octave you're hearing and then I did 2 more an octave up. Those are so incredibly out of tune and horrible if you listen to them alone, but they did the job I wanted them too. Basically just add some extra fullness and abience.

But, that may be a good idea, heavy double bass at the end. Haven't really thought of that. I might have to give it a shot. Thanks.

Very nice guitar work. Great clean sound. This song just begs to erupt into some galloping, ferocious riffage. I think Jamal already suggested that though. It just has that epic, 7 minute minimum feel to it. I can hear it now, right at 2:50 *pickslide* dun-dududun...

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Good job Nathan. I liked the dark feel and harmonied guitars, good essence of the goth feel. Definitely along my tastes.

Man next you have to tackle a cover of stonehenge. I freakin love that song and we all know it's the ultimate goth tribute.

"No one knows who they were.... or what they were doing" ROFL

Intro sounds cool, the snare could use some beefing up a bit if you ask me. Perhaps more compression, or try doubling with another snare and blend to taste. :)

The overall vibe of the tuneage really slows down after the intro. Looks like it kicks in again around the 3:00 mark. Regardless of the intended genre of music I couldn't really "get into it". There's some good musicianship here but the constant "marching" rythm section kind of held it back from cuttin loose if you know what I mean. I'd like to hear a standard 4/4 rythm after a few bars of the marching, to anchor the tune as it starts to head toward the ending. Also, you may want to have the bass guitar follow the bass drum more to emphasize the pulse.

Cool old school Metallica vibe happening. Good vocals, thank you for not screaming over this one. :)

Thanks for the comments. I orginially wrote it where it got heavier and faster but that was IMO, too predictable. I do want to work those drums around a little to help bring the song towards a close. And that snare is a pain in the ass (cymbals too). I might just have to try doubling it up and see if that helps. I didn't think of that. And the way the drums currently are, when I played the bass to them more it kind of screwed with the vibe so I bascially just played it too reinforce the guitar.

Oh, and I kind of wanted to run this one like 10 minutes, but I ran out of patience and ideas. :D

I have that same problem. I can't even bring headphones to work cuz of this stupid no music/radio policy. It really sux but at least I'm only here 30 hrs a week.

I like the guitar sounds. The acoustic guit, especially when it comes in at 4:58 sounds very nice. The fuzz on the guit during the intro might be a bit over the top, but only a bit. I liked the drums too.

The vocal doubling was well done. A minor sync thing at 1:18. Kind of sounds like it's a little below your comfort range vocally.

Something sounds weird at 3:12. Click or missing sound or something. Something similar at 3:51.

Good job overall.

"A minor sync thing at 1:18."

I noticed that right away and have come to kind of like it. Maybe I'm just weird. And I'll have to listen to the two spots you posted. I haven't noticed anything. It could be the burn, the mp3 rip or maybe somethings screwy with the actual tracks. I'll check. And that's a bass intro. tnx.

pretty damn good. I like your voice. You should unleash it a little - not the usual ranting and screaming, just some well placed exclamations. Like Jamal said, the drums need plenty of punch - maybe a simpler beat with some nice gothic reverb on both snare and kick. Very good job overall.

That's probably my biggest hangup right now. I don't have much power in my voice yet. I'm not huge on the screaming and whatnot so I don't want to do that, but I need some force. tnx for the comments.

Back