Got the Power!

Eric Altizer

Just got my first tube preamp and oh what a difference! Now that I got the power does anybody know how I can get rid of that low buzzzzing noise in the background? I'm sure nobody else has this problem right? :) Yes I have tried adjusting all the levels and stuff.

Is it my soundblaster card or my dynamic Radio Shack mic or the wiring? Upgrade all and try again right? Will a good condensor mic take care of the noise?

Um.... out of curiousity what tube preamp did you get?

It's my general experience that tube preamps under 1-2K/channel are generally pretty gross sounding.

Presonis

It is a PresonisTUBEPre Single Channel Tube Mic Preamplifier. Say that 5 times fast! Hey the guy at Guitar Center said it was good so I dished out the $100 and went on my marry way.

I had the same problem. Turned out to be my monitors. I had to plug the pre into a different source or turn off the monitors.

Your Rat Shack mic and Soundblaster isn't helping things. Sorry, that's just the way it is!
At least you didn't spend $1000 bucks on the preamp! I'd look into upgrading your soundcard and microphone. M-Audio has alot of good stuff.

Also make sure your mic pre isn't plugged into the "Mic in" of the Soundblaster. Now that you have an outboad pre, you need to go to the "Line in".

G.

line-in

I will need a different connector then, left and right to go into the line in. Is that right? I didn't think of this thank you for bringing it up. I will probably get a Sure57 mic and Audiophile 2496 soundcard. Sound good??

The 57 is a good workhorse mic and probably will be an improvement over what you have now in many cases. Don't throw away what you've got now, though; as inexpensive and "unprofessional" as it is, you never know when it might have an interesting sound miked up to something.

I have no experience with the Audiophile card, so I can't comment on that directly. I will say, though, that if you are running the output from your mic preamp into the "Mic In" on your soundcard, that will definitely give you problems regardless of what card you are using. You definitely need to run the output of that preamp to the "Line In" (think of it this way, that is no longer a mic you are plugging directly into the soundcard, it is a "box". 98% of "boxes" operate at "Line" level.)

The "Line in" is a stereo jack, but you don't necessarily have to get an adapter to run both L&R into it. If you just run a mono cord into an mono adapter, that mono signal will be routed to the left channel. You can then record just that left channel as the mono signal. There will be no L-R bias in that mono signal, in the mixing and playback, you'll still be able to pan it hwerever you want it to go.

I'd say try the Line In thing first. I think that should eliminate most of your problems. If it still sounds really crappy, then it's time to troubleshoot the next step. But take it one step at a time is my recommendation.

G.

The sound of silence!

That worked!! I got the mono/RCA adaptor and went in thru the "line-in" on my computor from the preamp (rather than to the mic in) and the background hissing vanished without a trace. :) How can I thank you enough? Whew!

Last edited:
Back