Got some new equipment

guitarmonkus

Howdys all round. I haven't lurked or posted here in a while, but I've recently gotten some new gear: Fender Tele, Hot Rod Deluxe, Eventide H9... that sort of thing. I am working on a song that I haven't written or attempted vocals yet, but I thought I'd see if anyone would check it out if I posted here. Just looking for thoughts on the mix or what I could do to make it sound better. I haven't tried mixing in so long that I feel like I've forgotten every trick I knew.

Either way it's good to stretch the sound making muscles!

https://soundcloud.com/fasterandfaster/song1

I think when the guitars get "heavy," they thin out a lot. That's my biggest criticism. I am no expert at getting thick sounding beefy electric sounds, but it seems that sometimes using less distortion can actually make them heavier. If the thinness is an effect that you're going for, you nailed it!

I like feedback as an effect, but it may be a either a touch much or just too loud. And that 60 cycle hum, while granting an air of authenticity to the sound...I dunno'...it's pretty dirty.

This is a hard one to critique, because all of the sounds may be totally valid if you're going for an indie type vibe...but I do think the guitars could be thicker.

Good bedding for a decent song. It'll be nice to hear what vocals will do. I am curious how the feedback guitar will sound under the vocals. Probably setting up for some clashing.

Kick and bass are working pretty good together. That's 80% of the battle right there. :)

I am no expert at getting thick sounding beefy electric sounds, but it seems that sometimes using less distortion can actually make them heavier.

Yes....over reliance on distortion to create power doesn't work as well as using the note fundamentals to do it. I've always found that dialing back the distortion somewhat and then playing the part accurately always adds impact. I like this bed but the super distortion coming in at 1:37 and 2:58 is distracting.

I like stuff like this where I get to imagine what the vocal will do over all this. Always interesting. I look forward to hearing what happens with this.

Wow, great replies. Thanks so much for giving it a listen. I'm starting to agree about the panned distortion sound. It was my first try using a Swollen Pickle Fuzz pedal, and I stacked it with a Tube Screamer. I guess I wanted to use that combo more than it made sense. I have some time today to re-record those parts and I'll try some clearer tones or maybe try a different effect altogether.

Again, many thanks.

The kick sample is way boomy. Has that bouncy-basketball sound.

The guitar riff/lead is fairly muddy. The pad guitar has too much gain IMO. Just kind of awash in fizz. I liked the reverb on the lead guitar. Kind of a Secret Agent Man/James Bond style of reverb.

Bass is pretty boomy too.

Jebus save me from the feedback. Might be cooler to have it fade out initially than have it go "beep!" and disappear.
I liked the track a lot and I ended up jamming on it since I had my guitar in my lap.

The bass has a bit of a loose sound but I wouldn't call it bad.

Props for the discworld reference, either way.

I thought the groove was good. It's a good musical idea to put words to. IMO there is really no way to comment on a mix, that is going to have vocals, before the vocals are in the mix.
It's been my experience that a vocal changes the entire mix because it has to have its space and until it's there you're not going to know what else needs to be eq'd and panned to make room.
Granted I'm not great at home recording but this has been my experience.
I think the song idea is great and I look forward to hearing a vocal on this. Great start man!

I like the tone of the first guitar and leaving some space for vocals. You've locked the groove in on this too. When the second guitar (the grungy one) hits it kind of shocks you...at least it did me. But what did impress me was that it didn't wash out the first guitar. it was a bit overbearing and "razor" sounding, but still kind of fit.

One serious critique is on the intro. It's about 40 seconds of feedback and noise. I sat there as a listener thinking WTF, when is something going to happen and what will it be.....but not in a good way. Judging by the length, you are going for an actual song, rather than a free for all wild jam. Most good songs, in a minute in or less you are at the chorus. Here we have 20 seconds shy of a minute of freeform feedback meandering. I'd get to the meat and potatoes of the tune a lot quicker.

As much as I like feedback.....too much.

Those are just my thoughts, one man's opinion.

Cheers, and keep at it! :thumbs up:

Agree with most of the above statements. Its really repetitive, but sounds really cool. The feedback is a bit much, but it really depends on what your going for

This song really reminds me of something that would be in a movie soundtrack.

One serious critique is on the intro. It's about 40 seconds of feedback and noise. I sat there as a listener thinking WTF, when is something going to happen and what will it be.....but not in a good way. Judging by the length, you are going for an actual song, rather than a free for all wild jam. Most good songs, in a minute in or less you are at the chorus. Here we have 20 seconds shy of a minute of freeform feedback meandering. I'd get to the meat and potatoes of the tune a lot quicker.

I hear you man. I was going with the thought of setting the mood and making the listener feel a little off kilter, but you're right, too much time.

I also plan on dialing back the feedback. I'm still going to have it play throughout, but at lower volumes and compressed.

Thanks again for checking it out!

Back