Got some great takes, but the levels are too low. Best way to fix?

Kickliketrimbke

Hi All,

I am kinda new to recording and I am working on an album of solo material. I recorded an acoustic guitar song with vocals (separate tracks) and the takes were excellent. However, I realized afterwards that the levels I recorded at are low. I am ranging between -17 and -23 DB on the acoustic for example. they sound great with my studio monitors when I turn them up, but I feel like the levels are too low for me to get a good mix level with the master fader. What is a good way to fix this without re-recording? Could I increase the gain with some of the plug-ins I am using like compression or EQ ? Any advice very much appreciated.

Last edited:
What DAW are you using? Pretty much all of them have a "normalize" function which will boost the signal so that the largest peak is at 0dBFS, or to whatever number you choose. I use Reaper and you can select multiple track, then raise them all by the same amount, or boost each track to it's max level. It won't affect the S/N ratio, it merely raise the level a constant amount for everything. As long as you have a good signal to noise level, you're good.

Most times, I find that the noise floor is due to the ambient noise in the room, not any noise from the mic or the interface, unless you have a very noisy mic, or were playing/singing extremely quietly.

There are several ways to increase the volume of a track. The first that most people will suggest is to "Normalize".

But, just in case you're not sure, even though those levels are a little low, they won't hinder your mixing in any way. You just might have them higher up on the faders than other tracks that might have been recorded louder.

Digital recording doesn't follow the same rules as analog/tape. You don't have to worry about having to record loud enough to mask any tape noise because there is none.

I almost never even look at the numbers when I record. I just make sure I don't clip. But most people would probably say I record too low. I don't think my guitar tracks ever peak past -10, and sometimes might even be lower. I mix low and only worry about a "louder" final mix when I get to the mastering stage, which simply involves a limiter, in my case.

But yeah, "Normalizing" seems to be the way to go if you want to raise the levels of your tracks.

Great info guys thanks! I am from that analog age so the levels probably worry me more that they should. I am using Presonus One Professional and it does have a normalize feature that I will check out as well. Thanks again.

I'll stick my ol' contrary but in here. I never warmed up to the 'normalizing in general. Primarily, 'cause it looks at my track, picks out the highest out of whack peak in the whole thing.. and uses it to do it's thing.
'Low tracks, use Clip Gain, or in Cake/Sonar they had a clip' process tool (forget the name..) but you'd enter the amount, it'd make a new track/clip ver, has wider range if needed.
:>)

I must admit that now in cubase, i normalise for two main reasons. When the waveform display on the track is obviously low compared to others. The other one is where i run out of useful fader travel. Its so rare now to hear noise.

I'll also admit that, despite my post above, I have never, ever, not once used "Normalize".

I'm not saying one should or shouldn't. I've just never found a need to use it.

I'll also admit that, despite my post above, I have never, ever, not once used "Normalize".

I'm not saying one should or shouldn't. I've just never found a need to use it.
Yeah, same here. There are any one of a number of plugs that one can put on the track insert to boost a low signal.

Sup guys! Yeah, I can't say I have ever used 'Normalize' ever other than one time I was transferring cassettes to CD for a buddy. Seems like a pain when you can just pull a slider or input a value. Anyway, to each their own.

Presonus Studio One is very similar to Cubase. 'Clip Gain' is the simplest way to raise gain on individual tracks.

In Presonus Studio One:

A: Left side of project window at top hit the 'Inspector' tool. At the bottom you will see 'Gain' listed. Left click drag that up/down with mouse to raise or lower the gain on individual tracks. This is prefader so gives you further control with the fader. I believe you can also double click on the number and manually input a value.

B: Clip Gain. Each event has a white handle at the top of each waveform. Pull it up or down to adjust gain. This way you can also slice up the track and adjust gain on separate parts of the track. And also fade in/out with the white corner handles at each end.

C: It is also in the mixer section if your version has Input controls.

In Cubase:

A: Left side pane of project window with 'Inspector' tab selected, the track gain is the fist slider at the top. Left click and drag slider L/R or double click and input value.

B: Exactly the same as Studio One above.

C: Gain is also adjustable in the 'Channel Settings' window (screen that comes up when you toggle the 'e' with Equalizer tab selected) at the bottom left along with low/high cut and Phase adjustments. Same left click drag or double click input value.

D: Can always send multiple tracks to a new 'Group track' and then have another stage of gain there for more than just one track as well as FX Inserts/Sends, eq, and such on all tracks routed to that group.

Here is a video for Presonus about adjusting gain:

The only two ways I'd ever raise track levels are 1) Clip Gain. Maintains the sonic of the track without reverting to compression algorithms. Far better (sonically) than Normalizing at least for preserving the integrity of the original track. 2) Some type of decent input/output gain structure plug-in. In his case, and for me, Sonimus A-Console or Sonimus N-Console, is highly recommended, not only for the tasks being discussed here but for the gaggle of other components that solve problems and/or add improved sonics. Far better (sonically) than Normalizing.

How does Normailizing compromise the sonic signature? It is precisely the same as raising the fader, except that it prescans the wave form, looks for the highest peak value and calculates how much increase can be applied before you reach 0. It doesn't compress the signal in any way. Normalizing with an 8.5dB boost is exactly the same as raising the fader 8.5dB.

How does Normailizing compromise the sonic signature? It is precisely the same as raising the fader, except that it prescans the wave form, looks for the highest peak value and calculates how much increase can be applied before you reach 0. It doesn't compress the signal in any way. Normalizing with an 8.5dB boost is exactly the same as raising the fader 8.5dB.
Absolutely. I have no idea what that's all about.

In Reaper, just click on the top of the recorded track and drag up to increase level. Or you can use the mini volume control option on each recorded ytack

In Reaper, just click on the top of the recorded track and drag up to increase level.
I think you have to hold either SHIFT or CTRL. You don't have to if you're turning the level down. But you do if you want to turn it up (past 0).

Or, like you said, just turn the wheel if you have that activated.

Absolutely. I have no idea what that's all about.
If I may dude, let me do my best to expand and explain my conclusions.

"What's that all about" are my 30 years of audio schooling here in the film, motion picture, and cue industry here in Hollywood. What's that all about" are my good fortunes to have worked (in the early days) with the incomparable Michael Omartian and his equally talented son Chris. Who by the way came to the same conclusions as I. These conclusions not only covered normalizing audio but also concluded the "maximizing" process equally degraded the original audio. "What's that all about" are my 23 Emmy wins and my 4 Pro-Max wins. What's that all about" are my fun and fond days at the Radford Lot in Studio City creating cues (and long-form cues) for the amazingly creative, brilliantly written, daytime drama, "Passions". "What's that all about" are my oh-so-challenging days working on and for the Ellen DeGeneres show. "What's that all about" was my battle for survival with Sony Pictures who have the single most picky and demanding Project Coordinators on the planet. "What's that all about" is, above all, I learned beyond every conceivable measuring stick, that mixing audio is singular and distillable to using one's ears.

In the end, I hope I've managed to move the understanding yardstick perhaps an inch further than, "I have no idea what he's talking about" At this point, I'd consider that a mild win.

This, like most forums, are melting pots of ideas and notions. That's really how it should be. What's perhaps odd or beyond the lines just may well produce mightily in the future. It has for me. I've submitted what I believe in, and that belief is based on 10 hours a day. 6 or 7 days a week, for 30 years. This post was received with an obvious "are you dumb" reception. In the end, I never post with any grandiosos, not my M.O. It would appear however that this group has surpassed my learnings and distilled me to nonsensical. I'll gladly slink away and yield. Perhaps to a forum more on my level. Is there a forum called "Audio for dummies"? I'll leave this place to the more enlightened and let the big guns have at it. :)

LOL^^^^Look at this^^^^^^Hahaha.......:D :D :D

Nobody asked for your resume. Share your insecurity with someone who cares.

As far as Normalizing is concerned, you still didn't answer the question...But thanx for the laugh. :)

LOL! Wow. :D

Last edited:
Back