Got myself a new guitar

liv_rong

Knows very little
I know you dont care too much as I dont come around and there arent too many here who know me, but I am super excited about my new guitar. I have always wanted an LP and some things got rotating the right way for me to purchase this. I love it, the way it plays and its sounds through my setup. Its a 2014 Traditional Pro II with a 50's neck, got it used for a great price. I was never really big on goldtops but the pictures of this thing made me LOTBAL and then once I saw it in person and felt it in my hands I knew it was for me. I researched a bunch before buying and played a bunch at GC to get a better idea of what I wanted since I had only played a few LP's here and there over the years. I quickly realized I didnt want a 60's style neck based on the ones I played, they just seemed too thin for me and the guitar I was playing for years prior had a thicker neck. Anyways, just had to share.

11834789_10206828969304682_8633993130142747321_o.jpg

11825605_10206828969904697_6827921186002334181_n.jpg

11017486_10206828970304707_1989850134229819123_n.jpg

Congrats! And nice to see you on this side of the internet.

Don't personally care for gold tops, but I do love me a 50's neck. Looks sharp.

So what kind of pickups come in that?

Nice, I'm just in the process of trying to get my first (and hopefully last) properly nice guitar.

Well I'm obviously biased, but I sure do like your new guitar. Well done.

Mine's got different pickups and a 60s neck. No boosts and shit.

What pickups are in yours, Greg?

Liv, one of my great guitar regrets (that I still remember) was passing on a cheapie faded brown Dot Studio that I think was about 200-225 new. My philosophy has always been to find a guitar that feels right and speaks to you, then worry about upgrading the electronics and hardware if it's necessary. What you end up with isn't a financially prudent investment, but a guitar you love the crap out of and will take with you to your grave. Sounds like you found it in that LP. Greg said it best. Well done.

What pickups are in yours, Greg?

Liv, one of my great guitar regrets (that I still remember) was passing on a cheapie faded brown Dot Studio that I think was about 200-225 new. My philosophy has always been to find a guitar that feels right and speaks to you, then worry about upgrading the electronics and hardware if it's necessary. What you end up with isn't a financially prudent investment, but a guitar you love the crap out of and will take with you to your grave. Sounds like you found it in that LP. Greg said it best. Well done.

I ended up with that Dot Studio! Got it on fleabay for $150. My wife got me a hardshell case for it that Xmas. Had a f*ckwad intonation problem with the G string until I put some jazz strings with a wound G string on it. I should probably put some better pups on it, as they are not very bright, but I've got my Tele if I want bright sound.

I ended up with that Dot Studio! Got it on fleabay for $150. My wife got me a hardshell case for it that Xmas. Had a f*ckwad intonation problem with the G string until I put some jazz strings with a wound G string on it. I should probably put some better pups on it, as they are not very bright, but I've got my Tele if I want bright sound.

Remember me when it comes time to sell. The one I wanted had a fairly fat neck. What about yours?

And I don't know whether or not the electronics were any good. They might have been great Never even played it plugged it. My plan at the time was to put the ubiquitous JB/Jazz combo in.

And yeah, a (semi-) hollowbody isn't what I'm going to when I want bright anyway.

My DOT Studio has a pretty large neck, very similar to my new LP actually. Mine also had some intonation problems so I brought it in for a set up and then shit was buzzing like crazt all over the place but after some tweaking they got it right. I dont go there for set ups anymore.

So I have a question about the neck binding on these, yours looks to be the same too Greg so maybe you know the answer. Originally I thought it was a faux finish(since its a "cheaper" LP) and painted on over the frets due to a flaw you can see pictured here:

IMG_0206_zpstsof4gga.jpg

But upon closer inspection you can feel and see the transition between the frets and the binding. Its like the binding is raised up to match the height of the frets. I dont know anything about guitar construction but with other guitars Ive played and pictures with neck binding it looks like the frets go over the binding or ends into into the binding, with the exception of newer LP's. Here is what Im talking about on my guitar:

IMG_0207_zpsm0ludv1r.jpg

IMG_0204_zpszddj5dk7.jpg

IMG_0203_zpsksbzgcu6.jpg

IMG_0202_zpsqvzf8ji8.jpg

Is Gibson the only company that does it like this? Why? Please teach me things about life.

Back