Got my new equipment...need advice

arch_jedi

new setup:delta 44,SB aud plat eX, yamaha mg10

ok I set it up as follows....v67 mic/guitar---->mg10(2 1/4" jack...1 in Left and other in Right output channels)---->break out box left in 1 and right in 2

I'm using SB as playback and delta for recording....the recorded tracks sound great. (powertracks) ..however it's twitching the sound..almost a popping here and there.....so I figured the SB was causing some sort of latency issue..so I set all the drivers in (PT) and windows to delta input and output. Can I use my pc 5.1's for the output from the delta? looks as if I'll need 2 PA speakers...1 on the BoB to left speaker and 2 on the BoB to right speaker? I plugged channel 1 output on the BoB to my guitar cabinet and got only the left channel and the volume was pathetic....control panel audio doesn't even highlight the volume controls when the delta 44 is selected as output so how am I supposed to control volume if I have to get PA speakers?

hmm well even with the delta as output I still get the skips and twitches...bah

back to trying the SB as output,,sounds better through the pc speakers anyway heh

Sounds like you are having clock issues. Go into the setup of your program and change the master clock to the other card.

arch. did you say your plugging the mic into the LINE INPUT ?
this is completely wrong. the v67 is a phantom power mic. you MUST plug into the mic input using a mic xlr chord and use phantom power.
lets get the input signal chain right first.
i am taking my wife out all of today. so i will get back to you
later on in about 10 hrs.
please make sure you are using also the latest delta sound card drivers from maudio.

Last edited:
no no the mic is plugged into the XLR. I've got it now where it sounds REALLY nice but I'm still getting the skipping and twitchy popping...that's for any track I record...vocal and guitar. I tried setting both cards to 48k/24bit and then tried 16bit/44.1k...can't be card conflict...maybe it's the mg10?

I'd try taking out the SB card. Use both the in's and the out's on the Delta. I'm assuming you have the Delta and SB cards both occupying PCI slots? You really should be getting better output sound from the Delta.

Do you know what chipset you have in your system? It would be like Intel, VIA, AMD, etc. Not the processor, but the chipset. I remember you posting here before, but don't remember exactly what you have for a system. I'm not a computer engineer, but I'll try to help you.

I wouldn't suspect the Yamaha mixer as the culprit.

Last edited:
just got back.
arch could you post your pc confign in full please.
as always make sure dma is checked on hard drive.
also in the powertracks track test in the menus , how many tracks does the test say ?

epox 8rda+, 1gig dual channel pc3200 ram, 2500+ barton 1,8ghz.....I uninstalled the SB and trying to use onboard realtec as output..it's recording and playing back well but still popping...Ive tried every latency setting in the delta 44 control panel...I always started a new recording too just to make sure...think it has to do with the sample rate of the delta? I set it on every possible choice and nothing changed...not sure what the realtec sample rate is

the only thing I found with DMA in it is the primary IDE properites..and both transfer modes say DMA if available and ultra mose dma 5 or something

What OS are you running? It may be a driver issue - I had that problem with my 1010. 98 and ME HATE everything to do with M-Audio (and most other things for that matter). Try a few of M-Audio's drivers. Their betas usually work extremely well.

I had the very same problem last year on my PC. For some reason one day all audio playback would pop on me. What I did was download a System Clean-Up type tool which cleans up your registry etc. This fixed my problem, may work for you.

arch. one of the reasons one can get pops is pci bus conflicts in the pc.
think of it like this ....its an expressway.
with a few cars on the expressway (eg delta by itself) all the traffic runs smoothly. as more cars enter the expressway (ie..you add more pci cards)
it gets busy until like rush hour in los angeles its gridlock.
so the little delta becomes gridlocked.
please could you list what pci cards you have installed in your pci slots.
also till this gets sorted out. (its always something stupid often)
do your testing at 16 bit 44.1.....because note you have a sb card as well in the equation. and sb were never true 24 bit sound cards.
yes i know what itsays on the box ! but there have been lots of 24 bit issues with sb cards.
do you still get pops when setting the delta to 16 bit 44.1 to match the realtec at 16 bit 44.1 ? if you do then probably you have a pci bus comtention prob as per the expressway example.
do you have any fancy video game cards or tv tuner cards in your pci slots ?
i need to know this...thanks.
peace.

OK I did a crapload of configuring last night.

I uninstalled the SB and using the onboard sound for playback
because before that the delta was sharing IRQ with 2 other things. I moved the delta over and now it's on IRQ 16 by itself. My gfx card is agp..so no pci conflicts there. The only other pci card I have is a wireless ethernet card.

It's still popping upon playback. The only way I got a good recording was to set the card and PT to 96k. Sounds great but then I try to add audio effects in PT and it doesn't support 96k lol just my luck. So I'm back to 44.1k.

I can't find a setting in the delta control panel to control 16 or 24 bit. But, I've set the PT to 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1, and 24/48. None made a difference. Only the 96k stopped it. I don't think it completely stopped it I just think it was popping once every few minutes. So slight it wouldn't matter.

Even when I use the delta as input AND output in windows and PT...it still pops...so it can't be a 2 sound card driver issue.

jeesh arch i wish you had told me before you had a wireless net card.
B I N G O !!
now this might not be true in your case , but in lots of cases
these cards have been problems. on prorec.com awhile back the editor of the site (another recording site) had a similar prob if i remember for example.
he read what i'm saying to you now,
pulled the internet card. everything was fine for audio then.
peace.

thx mann that did it:) no internet in the music room but o well I'll cable it somehow... now I have to figure out how to get the outputs to headphone and pc speakers.

I have it set up now as delta as all outputs..with phones outputted from channel 1 from the BoBox. No sound from the realtec97 mainboard sound. If I select 2 output drivers in PT (realtec and delta)and still only chooses the 1 on top.. I'm able to record and listen to the vocals while recording and listen to track playback while recording. I can only do this through headphones but I want it all coming out of the pc speakers also.....cuz 1 day I'll build a soundproof section in this room.

so lets clarify. no pops or problems - just clean tracks right ?
please confirm arch. it WAS the network card - right ?
ive just been out on a glorious supper with some friends.

heh - you realise of course i'm helping because years ago i spent more than a few wayward happy days touring around fla in a caddy a friend lent me.
had a great time. some of your fellow floridians treated me extremely well.
really kind people. all over the place. but that darn disney mountain ride ,
my wife laughed herself silly because i was closing my eyes half the time with stomach churning.
peace.and please confirm ....then we can get to the easy part. monitoring on the cheap plus hook up.

Back