Got a reel of nos 1" to unload...

Yep, about 33 minutes total recording time at 15ips.

Surprised nobody's nabbed this reel yet.

Last edited:
Wow, $100 for just half an hour of recording. Do you use it over and over?

Lol current production 1" costs $180 per reel or more. $100 shipped for a nos reel is a good deal!

Of course you can erase and reuse tape. I've found GP9 to hold up very well to repeated use.

Sweetbeats, yeah, I closed down my studio space, decided not to open another one. Just wasn't fun anymore. My 2-track MCI will be up for sale very soon, just need to do the five big filter caps in the PSU and it's out of here. The whole shebang got recapped, relapped, resocketed, reflowed, I replaced the audio molexes completely and replaced the audio chips with National singles and duals. Ah, it sounds so damn punchy and clear and wide...just not practical to keep it for myself, oh well. The console will follow this fall once I do the meter lamps, fix the automation system and replace a few pots, otherwise it's also recapped and gone through.

Last edited:
Lol, thanks! I only record digible, so don't know how it works. Obviously, I used to have VHS that you can reuse, but the quality deteriorated quite quickly and then you don't get to keep everything. Do you generally digitise it once the project's done (I suppose you have CD masters made, or something)?

Ah, gotcha. Some projects I archived the tracks to pro tools and reused the tape, others I kept the tapes for archiving and bought more session stock. Sometimes I ended up doing both. Just kinda depended.

Lol, thanks! I only record digible, so don't know how it works. Obviously, I used to have VHS that you can reuse, but the quality deteriorated quite quickly and then you don't get to keep everything. Do you generally digitise it once the project's done (I suppose you have CD masters made, or something)?

Yeah, VHS will deteriorate far more quickly, because in terms of head-to-tape contact it's something crazy like 230 inches/sec thanks to the rotating head assembly. As mentioned, 15 IPS is typical for a studio setup. Videotape in a cassette is also a lot thinner to fit inside it and therefore more fragile.

Something else to keep in mind is that 1" is one of the more expensive formats, especially for 8-track - there are cheaper options, especially if you're OK with using noise-reduction.

Something else to keep in mind is that 1" is one of the more expensive formats, especially for 8-track

Only if ya need more than 8 tracks from your 8-track :D :D ;) I often found that the limitations set me free. It was also useful in stopping clients from spending too much time chasing bad ideas down the rabbit hole, but I digress!

Only if ya need more than 8 tracks from your 8-track :D :D ;) I often found that the limitations set me free. It was also useful in stopping clients from spending too much time chasing bad ideas down the rabbit hole, but I digress!

What I meant was, if cost is a concern there are 1/2" and 1/4" solutions for 8-track - for Jonny's benefit, really.

For me, I think the sweet spot would be 2" 16-track, but the running costs would be horrible.

Agreed on 2" 16, that's what I aspired to and all the tracks I'd ever need for any analog project, but yeah, $330 reels, $800 MRLs and $550 relaps are all bummers. Modern recording budgets just don't justify it anymore.

Back