Got a heavy one for you guys.

mwarkentin

This is the first song I've got mixed for my new band, Ethereal Sky.

Here's the link:

The Confidential Suicide Missions

Looking for any and all comments.. tracking, mixing, songwriting. Thanks for your help. :)

Edit: Ok, it's ready to go. The song is 5:58 long, and encoded at 192kbps, so it is a rather large file, for those of you with slow connections. The file is 8.20 MB.

Equipment List:

Korg D1600
Mackie 16 channel mixer
Avalon 737SP
2 Shure SM81
Rode NTK
AKG C1000
AKG D112
3 Shure SM57

Guitar was a BC Rich with Seymore Duncan Screamin Demon pickup, through Marshall Guv'nor (new) into a.. 60-something Fender. Bass was an Ibanez EDC-905 DI'd through the Avalon. Snare went through the Avalon, everything else through the Mackie. Vocals were the NTK into the Avalon.

Last edited:
Wow...........

a lot of talent back east.
Not surprising when you consider thats where 75% of the Canadians are!
This sounds very commercial in todays market.
I think the mix is at least good enough to use as a demo.....
Good luck to you gentlemen................

Actually, this was recorded in a small town in Northern Manitoba. That's where I'm from, and the rest of the band is right now. I'm in Toronto for university.

nice guitar sound.. the drums sound like they're over compressed to me.. good screaming later on.. should have used that more..

I haven't read the other posts, so sorry if I repeat anything.

Excellent energy! Ooooh. Nice crunchy guitar. Somebody knows what they're doing with that thing!

What the hell are you asking for our opinions for?! This is well mixed, excellently played, interestingly written.

If there was anything I'd change, it'd be that intro... just the part where the guitar ends abruptly. That kind of jarred my eardrums. Otherwise, I can find nothing at all to complain about. This is radio-quality shit (that's meant as a compliment... I'm talking alternative radio, not Britney and Bouncey -- or whatever her name is -- radio). Tight. Kickin' vox. Nice song construction. Even the drums are mixed and eq'd well.

You guys better start label shopping. :-)

Love to hear more!

Piltdown Man

B.Sabbath:

Glad you like the guitar sound. That was one part I was really worried about. I seem to have no clue what to listen for in a guitar sound. Basically I just did what I've read so many times: drop the gain (which my guitarist had CRANKED), boost the mids (which my guitarist had totally scooped). Took him a while to get used to the sound, but in the end he liked it a lot better.

Compression is something I still really haven't figured out yet. :)

There is actually screaming through most of the choruses, but I think I have them turned way to low, you can hardly hear them underneath the singing vocals.

PiltdownMan: Thanks for the compliments! Glad you like the guitar sound too, I wasn't too sure about it. I'll try removing the gap between the intro and the rest of the song, and see how it sounds!

I'll definitely post some more tunes when I have the chance. Looks like it'll be a while though. :)

Once again, thanks for all the comments!

FattMusiek: Yeah, like I said above, compression is something I really haven't figured out yet. Always seem to overcompress, but if I don't, then there are peaks all over the place. Ah well, I'll keep on learnin'.

Glad you like the bass sound, I'm the bass player. :)

Interesting mix of styles. Like the guttaral vocals, whispered parts. Like the tempo. Bass sounds good.

I for one was not crazy about the guitars, I am one of those "over gained","scooped mid" players.

Sorry, had to have on criticism in there...

EXCELLENT SONG!!! Where can I find more of your work?

CellarDweller: Thanks for the comments. We recorded it first with my guitarist's setup, and it just sounded horrid, so we went with this. This is the only song that's ready for listening right now, but I'll be sure to post more when I can!

The playing and singing are great. I don't really listen to this type of music - that said, the songwriting sounds as solid as anything on the radio.

The recording lacked a little life. Overcompressed drums were already mentioned. The guitars sound a little dull to me. Maybe too much lower mids. Now that you've done the tweaking on the guitars you might want to try to go back and undo it all. Sometimes I try that and ask myself "why did I kill this perfectly good guitar sound?". Just a thought.

Nice work.

fprod south: Glad you enjoyed the performances and song. The thing with tweaking the guitars.. I meant this at the recording stage. My guitarist had his mids scooped and gain cranked on the Marshall Guv'nor.. had to get him to change that to even get a decent sound to start with.

mwarkentin,

Great track! Lots of energy. Very well played by everybody.

Recording wise, most of the comments have all ready been offered so, I can't add much to this.

I would probably re-track the tune and try to get a more solid sound out of the drum kit which sounds poorly mic'ed and is phasing all over the place on the cymbals. That type of phase problem can only be corrected by re-tracking.

Otherwise, very cool tune and defiantly worthy of using as a demo to get gigs and everything else that can be imagined!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Back