Got a DMP3 for cheap

Rev E

Just wanted to thank you guys. I recently bought an M-Audio DMP3 mic pre from Guitar Center for $199. The same day that I bought it I read three posts where someone bought the same pre from GC for $119. I was floored and called GC about this. After a little discussion, the Manager said to bring the receipt and printouts of the posts. I was thinking that he would just give me a few bucks off. However, I was truly surprised when he gave me a check for $84 (the difference in my original price w/ tax and $119).

I've got this site to thank. Because you guys shared the info, I was able to negotiate a better price for what is already a good preamp.

Thanks.
Es.

Rev E said:
Just wanted to thank you guys. I recently bought an M-Audio DMP3 mic pre from Guitar Center for $199. The same day that I bought it I read three posts where someone bought the same pre from GC for $119. I was floored and called GC about this. After a little discussion, the Manager said to bring the receipt and printouts of the posts. I was thinking that he would just give me a few bucks off. However, I was truly surprised when he gave me a check for $84 (the difference in my original price w/ tax and $119).

I've got this site to thank. Because you guys shared the info, I was able to negotiate a better price for what is already a good preamp.

Thanks.
Es.

How are you liking it?

kt

What's up there Rev E! Ain't hear from you in looooong time!
I bought the DMP a while back and what 1st caught my eye
was the its Hi dynamic range and freq'y response of 20hz to 100 khz and (0/-1db) great for 24/96k dig recd'ing.
Plus, on the insistance of chessrock, who convinced me it's a great lil unit in the $200 range.

Hey Misterqcue,
Yeah. It's been some time since I've actually posted. I've been lurking for a while now. I've been so busy that I haven't made time to join in the discussions. Good to know I'm among friends.

KevinTran,
I haven't really made time to try it out yet. I plan on recording with it tomorrow. I bought it after reading all of Chessrock and others' praises about the DMP3. I'm generally slow to buy gear, even cheaper stuff. I'll only do it after enough folks that I trust say it's good. So I hope I can report back good news after tomorrow.

Es.

Yeah, I got mine for $119 and posted here. Sweet deal. Next, I'll match it up with an RNC and end up with two channels of excellent clean pre and compressor for < $300 to compliment the MEEK.

I got mine for $119 at GC too! What a deal! Guitar Center isn't so great on your average day, when you have to pay tax and stuff, but when they're having sales and are hyper-willing to negotiate prices, damn they're hard to beat!

tdukex said:
Yeah, I got mine for $119 and posted here. Sweet deal. Next, I'll match it up with an RNC and end up with two channels of excellent clean pre and compressor for < $300 to compliment the MEEK.

D@mnnnn! I paid $160 for mine thinking I gotta great deal and hear U suckaz' got yours for $40 less!!!!

I pride myself on being a cheap-@ss, gear-a-holik, tryin' to save a dime here and nickle here!
Guess I gotta' pay mo' attention to you budget-minded s-experts!!!:p

Hey if I were to go to my local one, how do I get that deal, fellas? Is there an advertisment or something I show 'em?

Sounds like a deal that can't be passed up, huh?

kt

I'm not sure if you could get the $120 price very easily right now...I got mine during that huge blowout Memorial Day sale they had, and I think it was actually an "open box" item. I know they say they'll honor a competitors price, but posts on this BBS probably wouldn't carry much weight with them. Frankly I'm shocked that Rev E was able to get the pre that cheap! But it's worth a shot, cuz this pre is awesome!!!

Could someone make a scan of their GC recpit for the $119 DMP3. I can print that and show them one of their own recipts to prove the $119 thing.
Thanks

that would be a good idea, scanning the receipt, save it as a .pdf file, perhaps remove your name and post it here, i'd love to pick up one of these as well at $119.

KevinTran said:
Hey if I were to go to my local one, how do I get that deal, fellas? Is there an advertisment or something I show 'em?

Sounds like a deal that can't be passed up, huh?

kt

I got mine before the big Memorial Day blowout. I just printed and took in a similar thread. Do a search and you can find the additional thread I'm speaking of. I bought mine at GC in San Marcos CA. Just print this thread and take it in.

Also, after showing the salesperson the thread, I said I also wanted an Oktava MC 012, and I wanted to walk out the door for $200. He putzed around on the computer for a couple of minutes and then said, "Yeah, we can do that."

So, I paid something like $114 for the DMP3 and $71 for the MC012, and then 7.75 % sales tax, and went out the door for $199.99.

No need for receipt, just print out threads

BmC,

I didn't print out receipts. I printed out tdukex's thread and two others quoting the same $119 price. Tdukex's thread is at https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=87656

His thread also links to one of the other threads. Print at least these two out. Your GC manager may say that the sales were due to the memorial day blowout sale, but one of the threads is dated may 5th (not Memorial Day). Use this fact to say that the price was not due to blowout.

The manager does say that $119 is the price that GC paid for the DMP3 wholesale, but if they sold it at a GC for one price (and you bring it their attention with proof), they should sell it at another store for the same price.

Es.

Yeah, i got the last one out of the san marco store, for $119.00 being sent out by ups to nova scotia, now that's a deal, i priced the dmp3 here in Nova Scotia, $299.00 plus 15% tax, the cheapest i could have got it here in canada, was in toronto for $258 plus shipping. $299, even with the exchange rate, i will only pay $188.73 from guitar center. This is what i call a deal, thanks to this forum and the sharing of info these type of deals are possible, thanks to all. I didn't have to provide any proof, they acknowledged that they had sold them for the $119, so that was good of them.
cheers

zbert said:
Could someone make a scan of their GC recpit for the $119 DMP3. I can print that and show them one of their own recipts to prove the $119 thing.
Thanks

I saw one at GC. The guy said I could have it for what they paid for it. You guessed it, $119. I passed. They pay like $40 maybe.

acorec said:
I saw one at GC. The guy said I could have it for what they paid for it. You guessed it, $119. I passed. They pay like $40 maybe.

In my book, these things compare very well to both the Presonus MP20 and the RNP--both sell for around $400+. And yes, I've heard them both (on recordings and pre comparisons). So what, you're saying $119 isn't a good enough price? How much GC paid is irrevalent. They probably only pay $79 for the MP20. So what's your point?

At $200 the DMP3 is one of the best values available in home recording. At $119 it is the mic pre equivalent of the RNC.

Back