Gospel Track - You Our God (Please Review)

nickg

Lets.hit.record!
Hey guys, here's another one I've just finished the first mix on. It's a local church group called Total Grace. The recording conditions were not optimal, as we have a "hybrid" track here. We recorded the band and choir live in the church, and came in the studio and overdubbed all vocals, and replaced the soloists. I did notice that the second verse (female singer) comes in pretty hot... So I'll have to fix that. Other than that please tear this mix apart!

Comments, criticism & snide remarks are welcome as usual ;)

Well, you did a great job, it's a nice Gospel song and it's well recorded. As you said, the female singer voice is too loud but it can be easily fixed. Now that i have said my compliments it's time to say what i really dislike of your mix. Man, the kick, that goddammed kick sounds dreadful and it's ruining all your beautiful song. For God's sake, use a drum replacment software to have a nice rounded punchy kick and your song will be a killer one (in a good senese, of course). Believe me, that detail is really annoying me.

Er... just in case, hear and there, I hear some clapping going, it's kinda distracting.

Well, you did a great job, it's a nice Gospel song and it's well recorded. As you said, the female singer voice is too loud but it can be easily fixed. Now that i have said my compliments it's time to say what i really dislike of your mix. Man, the kick, that goddammed kick sounds dreadful and it's ruining all your beautiful song. For God's sake, use a drum replacment software to have a nice rounded punchy kick and your song will be a killer one (in a good senese, of course). Believe me, that detail is really annoying me.

Er... just in case, hear and there, I hear some clapping going, it's kinda distracting.

Considering it's a gospel tune, there are SO many things wrong with your critique. The advice is good, the wording is just plain wrong. :D

Last edited:
I don't know if this will make a diffrence or not but I reported killthepixelnow's post as inapropiat to say the least. I can't believe someone could be that ignorant of another's beliefs and feelings.

I don't know if this will make a diffrence or not but I reported killthepixelnow's post as inapropiat to say the least. I can't believe someone could be that ignorant of another's beliefs and feelings.

Dodge, what are you talking about?

Is it his critique of the bass drum sound? Or the fact that he said "goddamned"??? Either way, I don't think there's anything worth "reporting".

dodgeaspen said:

I don't find anything wrong with my post. Everybody, even "religious" guys, say goddamed and stuff like that. By the way, if you haven't noticed I'm talking with the sound engineer, no matter he's the priest or an atheist. it would be the same if a guy came with a Satanic black metal tune and you say him "God, that's a wonderful tune!"

sounds great! the male vocalist and piano accompaniment remind me a little of john legend. bgv's sound awesome. great job!

I don't find anything wrong with my post. Everybody, even "religious" guys, say goddamed and stuff like that. By the way, if you haven't noticed I'm talking with the sound engineer, no matter he's the priest or an atheist. it would be the same if a guy came with a Satanic black metal tune and you say him "God, that's a wonderful tune!"

I realize you see nothing wrong with your post otherwise you wouldn't have written it. In this instance the person posting this thread is (I assume) a Christian. At the least your comment was disrespectful. Most would disagree with me on this and i may stand alone, but that's why I posted what I did. Since your post was not deleted or sanctioned I yet assume the moderator agrees with you in this matter. If I happened to go to a Church I would have enough courtesy not to use the language that GOD might deem inappropriate. I will not post another response in regards to your post again. Thanks

If I happened to go to a Church I would have enough courtesy not to use the language that GOD might deem inappropriate.
Yes, but this isn't about going to a church. It's about someone coming into a music forum. You sound as if you see "Christians" as some seperate entity of people that needs to be pampered like fragile little demi-Gods. Give me a break.
So, what if a Muslim walked in here and posted??? Or a Jew??? Is there a list of words we're not allowed to say for each different group of people.
Ah, but that's the difference...It's usually only the Christians that make it a point to declare that they are Christians, as if anyone's supposed to give a shit. People are people, and you come into a MUSIC FORUM, you shouldn't expect to be treated with any more respect than anyone else....and that even applies to "Christians".

Last edited:
The TOS say:

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages on this BBS that are:

• Obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws;

The post in question was profane but not obscene. Vulgar, well, honestly a large percentage of posts here are vulgar, so . . .

It would be nice if everyone treated each other with respect, which does occasionally require thoughtfulness.

Sounds great, but.....I don't know. Sounds to me like a little busy. I don't know if its the piano that is occupying so much spectrum. I think it is. Tru to get a little better separation. Maybe its the mastering that seems too loud for this genre. I don't love the kick sound. Other than that, its a beautiful song. And I say that even I'm not a religious guy, but I like artistic and beautiful sound of Gospel music. Very good work.

Sounds great, but.....I don't know. Sounds to me like a little busy. I don't know if its the piano that is occupying so much spectrum. I think it is. Tru to get a little better separation. Maybe its the mastering that seems too loud for this genre. I don't love the kick sound. Other than that, its a beautiful song. And I say that even I'm not a religious guy, but I like artistic and beautiful sound of Gospel music. Very good work.

I agree, it is a bit busy.. I'm working on that! As far as the first poster, I also agree the the kick sounds like crap... But this is what the customer "wanted" :( They didn't like any attack or crisp punch... So that's what they get I guess. I'll work on finding a happy medium.

As far as the religioius comments, I am a religious person, but I was not offended by any comments made. I'm pretty crude myself ;) The only reason I even notated that it was a gospel song is so if people didn't like listening to religious or Christian music, they would know to avoid it.

Thanks you guys for the critique, I'll make changes and post it when I'm done!

They didn't like any attack or crisp punch... So that's what they get I guess. I'll work on finding a happy medium.

Hey man, we're not asking for a clacky a-la Slipknot kick. Problem with your sound is that it doesn't sound like a kick at all. I assume your client want a natural sounding bass drum and that's the reason they're asking you to keep that sound. Think about the kick in some Amy Winehouse song, it's kinda bassy and lacks definition but definitively sounds like a kick. Hope it helps.

BTW, even if the clien want his or that, you should always keep a kick-ass version for future showcase of your work.

In the vulgar tongue I'd like to offer that I don't like the bass drum sound: too clicky; that the hard panned piano is a bit too bright; that you still need to deal with the hot vocal a bit more; that knee jerk reportage is not the way to resolve a matter of language or perceived insensitivity, (in fact it is insensitive to report, lay blame & expose a person to potential riducule for failing to meet someone else's standards/values/etc. but then again that's part of my value system not necessarily that of anyone else), and that the OP has done a pretty good job within the circumstances.
Personally I'm no fan of "praise" songs but then again nor do I use profanity in my everyday speech. However, I can accept both where the intention is not to do harm.

Not my type of music, but I would say the performance is top-notch, very classy (and I don't care what the lyrics are all about...to me the music and performance come first) And I love the full sound of a Gospel choir. Except for the kick evrything sounds good to me.

Joey :):):):)

Back