Gorunding Issues

jtlaurie

I have a question. I have a Fender Japanese Made Telecaster (about 3-4 years old) and a Fender Princeton Chorus Amp. For some reason I'm having grounding issues. I've done a couple tests and it seems like it may be the guitar. I put hands over the strings to see if it would stop the hum and it didn't work. I also checked the different pickup settings on my guitar and there's still a hum. I even had my guitar jack fixed a couple months ago. Any idea of what's wrong and what I can do to fix it? I'm recording on Sunday. Thanks!

I have almost the same setup. I found that I have terrible hum when the selector switch is in the 1, 3, 5 positions.. 2 & 4 are a lot quieter..

That don't help you but great question...

Sounds like the bridge ground wire isn't properly connected. Follow the diagram from the grounding of the jack. A wire should go to the metal bridge. This will make the hum stop when you touch the strings.

scottboyher said:
I have almost the same setup. I found that I have terrible hum when the selector switch is in the 1, 3, 5 positions.. 2 & 4 are a lot quieter..

That don't help you but great question...

Scott, you might already know this but the reason positions 2 and 4 are quieter is because they are humbucking positions.
Position 2 uses neck and middle together and position 4 uses middle and bridge together.
Positions 1, 3 and 4 uses their respective single coil pickups alone.

eyeslikefire said:
Scott, you might already know this but the reason positions 2 and 4 are quieter is because they are humbucking positions.
Position 2 uses neck and middle together and position 4 uses middle and bridge together.
Positions 1, 3 and 4 uses their respective single coil pickups alone.

I took what he said as a joke. ya know......its a single coil......its gonna hum.......

I am working on making a homemade deal so I can take my hand off the guitar and not have the massive feedback. Its gonna be fancier than a damn wrist braclet:D

guitarnuts.com has useful grounding info.
Check out "Quieting the beast's cousin".

It's worthwhile to ground/shield the whole guitar.

You live in Chicago . . . call Andy's Music on Belmont and Western and rent a sweet guitar and amp for the weekend. You can usually describe to them the kind of tone you're after, and they'll hook you up fairly inexpensively.

BTW -- did you try a bunch of different cords?

Back