Goodbye (original song)

I liked it a lot. Very nice tune!! At first I was thinking the intro dragged on a bit too much but perhaps not. The mix was good but I think the bass could come up a bit...along with the bass drum as well. There's a slight lack of bottom that would add to the flavor and power of the song........only in my opinion. Thanks for the listen!!

This sounds really good! There is a nice sheen in your voice.

I just felt the drum sound didn't suit the overall mix. Just a minor thing I felt.

Not my type of music, but you have a really good voice and I wouldn't screw much with the mix.

I think I know what anoopbal means about the drum sound not quite suiting the mix, but I like the sound of that snare.

I liked it a lot. Very nice tune!! At first I was thinking the intro dragged on a bit too much but perhaps not. The mix was good but I think the bass could come up a bit...along with the bass drum as well. There's a slight lack of bottom that would add to the flavor and power of the song........only in my opinion. Thanks for the listen!!

Thank you Mickster, I have to check that bass / kick / the entire bottom again. The bass sound is problematic as I was using upright bass (VI samples) and for some reason it's difficult to control if the levels are higher...

This sounds really good! There is a nice sheen in your voice.

I just felt the drum sound didn't suit the overall mix. Just a minor thing I felt.

Thank you anoopbal, You are probably right...I'm using Slate's drums and I love the sound that I used but it may be too "cold" for this song...actually I tested other sounds that were much more "warmer" but those sounds didn't seem right either....

Not my type of music, but you have a really good voice and I wouldn't screw much with the mix.

I think I know what anoopbal means about the drum sound not quite suiting the mix, but I like the sound of that snare.

Thank you NTBright. Appreciated, so the song is NotThatBright, right? :)

I really like this track.

As it started, I thought "no, I don't want to listen to this chord progression for four minutes." Almost as soon as I had that thought, the song went into new, interesting and very engaging different directions. I think it is the track has a great structure, a great arrangement and is very well performed, including a highly confident vocal.

Others have commented on the drum track. I tend to agree that it is perhaps not the best fit. You might like to consider double-timing the kit from what it is doing now. However, should you do that, it would be interesting to avoid a standard rock pattern and get a bit creative with it.

I listened through headphones, so I can't comment on the lack of bass or otherwise, though I didn't notice anything upsetting (and a lack of bass would be very upsetting).

As the song draws to a close there is an instrumental bit with synth and guitar doing their respective things in a "repeat and fade" type of end (except it doesn't fade). During each repeat the guitar and synth produce a discord. I'm a big fan of dissonance, discords and crunchy harmonies, but this sounds more like an accident, rather than something deliberate. The ending actually reminds me a bit of the ending of "I talk to the wind", a King Crimson classic from many years ago.

Congratulations on putting together such a wonderful track!

Hi, here's the 1st mix of my latest song. If you have some time to listen to it, please give me some feedback - any kind of feedback, thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/splproject/goodbye-mix-1

Good combination of arrangement/chords, lyrics, tempo, vibe. Very good vitality in this - well executed. Good use of the stereo field. Vocals and electric guitar frequencies are harsh. The mix is too wet in terms of effects, especially reverb. The sound sources are out of tune. The mix is however bright, good good good, just try to bring down some of that harshness and maybe complement with some sub frequencies to round it off a little in the low end, add some harmonics too.

Overall, very interesting mix! I hope my frank feedback helps.

Thank you NTBright. Appreciated, so the song is NotThatBright, right? :)

I can't believe it took this long for someone to crack on that stupid name I picked. :)

The high frequencies in your song do not go so high as to cause discomfort to one's ear, you are correct.

Good combination of arrangement/chords, lyrics, tempo, vibe. Very good vitality in this - well executed. Good use of the stereo field. Vocals and electric guitar frequencies are harsh. The mix is too wet in terms of effects, especially reverb. The sound sources are out of tune. The mix is however bright, good good good, just try to bring down some of that harshness and maybe complement with some sub frequencies to round it off a little in the low end.

I agree with most of MW's observations except "The sound sources are out of tune" and "The mix is too wet in terms of effects, especially reverb". I note the effect on the vocal which gives it a hint of 'radio-ness' which is deliberate, so it does not bother me. I can detect nothing being out of tune at all, and my ears are very sensitive to tuning problems. Wetness is a matter of taste. I like reverb and it has been used well, preserving clarity but generating space. Furthermore, the track warrants this kind of treatment.

I really like this track.

As it started, I thought "no, I don't want to listen to this chord progression for four minutes." Almost as soon as I had that thought, the song went into new, interesting and very engaging different directions. I think it is the track has a great structure, a great arrangement and is very well performed, including a highly confident vocal.

Others have commented on the drum track. I tend to agree that it is perhaps not the best fit. You might like to consider double-timing the kit from what it is doing now. However, should you do that, it would be interesting to avoid a standard rock pattern and get a bit creative with it.

I listened through headphones, so I can't comment on the lack of bass or otherwise, though I didn't notice anything upsetting (and a lack of bass would be very upsetting).

As the song draws to a close there is an instrumental bit with synth and guitar doing their respective things in a "repeat and fade" type of end (except it doesn't fade). During each repeat the guitar and synth produce a discord. I'm a big fan of dissonance, discords and crunchy harmonies, but this sounds more like an accident, rather than something deliberate. The ending actually reminds me a bit of the ending of "I talk to the wind", a King Crimson classic from many years ago.

Congratulations on putting together such a wonderful track!
Thank you gecko zzed. Double-timing the drums might be worth to try although it might dramatically change the feeling that I'm looking for in this song. I may test it one of these days....
Discord - I believe I know what you mean by that if it is the 3rd chord/1st beat in that end cycle. The chord is actuality F#Maj7-5 (sorry, not sure how to say this in English) and that synth goes to F# which is the base note. I could go to F (Maj7) maybe a little more naturally but I preferred that F#.

But anyway, thank you for this great feedback.

I can't believe it took this long for someone to crack on that stupid name I picked. :)

The high frequencies in your song do not go so high as to cause discomfort to one's ear, you are correct.

:). I guess that it needs to be non-native English speaker to crack on that nick. :)

Good combination of arrangement/chords, lyrics, tempo, vibe. Very good vitality in this - well executed. Good use of the stereo field. Vocals and electric guitar frequencies are harsh. The mix is too wet in terms of effects, especially reverb. The sound sources are out of tune. The mix is however bright, good good good, just try to bring down some of that harshness and maybe complement with some sub frequencies to round it off a little in the low end, add some harmonics too.

Thank you MusicWater. I agree with you on that harshness on vocals and gtr's. I struggled with vocals a lot and couldn't get it the way I wanted to.....In terms of "too much reverb and effects" - I wanted to create a lot of space to synths in choruses and to make them really big and also use some reverb and delay on vocals but for example drums don't have any effects, just their "room". Could you please specify which instrument/sound sources are out of tune?

Thank you for feedback

Good arrangement, good playing, good song. I'm really curious what you did to the vocal. On the one hand, it cuts through the rest of the mix very nicely - it's really present. On the other hand, I'm thinking that one reason it does that is because of an effect or parallel processing you've got on it that changes the sound of it in a way that says there's an effect or parallel processing going on. In the same way that the best delay and reverb is the one you don't notice - you only notice it when you mute it - I think maybe that what you got going on the vocal might be a bit too obvious. It sounds like there's more going on than EQ and compression. Whatcha think?

Good arrangement, good playing, good song. I'm really curious what you did to the vocal. On the one hand, it cuts through the rest of the mix very nicely - it's really present. On the other hand, I'm thinking that one reason it does that is because of an effect or parallel processing you've got on it that changes the sound of it in a way that says there's an effect or parallel processing going on. In the same way that the best delay and reverb is the one you don't notice - you only notice it when you mute it - I think maybe that what you got going on the vocal might be a bit too obvious. It sounds like there's more going on than EQ and compression. Whatcha think?

Thank you dobro. Well - I have double tracked the lead vocal on choruses and part of the verses. Other that that, lead voc 1 channelstrip is "gain - waves C4 - de-esser - Slate VTM - EQ - Slate VCC - DC8 comp - CLA-3A comp". 3 sends: reverb Valhalla vintage, Delay 1/16 H-Delay, Delay 1/8 H-Delay into reverb Valhalla. There's "only" gain - EQ - comp + 3 sends with lower levels on the double track. So there's nothing else going on...

It reminds me of lionel richie LOL. Had to turn it up alot to hear it good. It's pretty good, although you could turn down most of the drums other than the kick they are a little too loud. Just a tiny bit though.

Nice job.

Fabulous! It's bright and wide and spacious and pretty. Just an editorial note maybe the ride at the beginning until the voice comes in...the high hat just sounds harsh there. I think a nice sizzly ride would fit the space better. Honestly think your voice sounds closer to Sir Paul than Lionel Richie, but that's just me...

It reminds me of lionel richie LOL. Had to turn it up alot to hear it good. It's pretty good, although you could turn down most of the drums other than the kick they are a little too loud. Just a tiny bit though.

Nice job.
Thank you FoulPhil. Lionel Richie? I'm not a big fan but I take it as a great compliment:). And you are probably right about those drums....

Fabulous! It's bright and wide and spacious and pretty. Just an editorial note maybe the ride at the beginning until the voice comes in...the high hat just sounds harsh there. I think a nice sizzly ride would fit the space better. Honestly think your voice sounds closer to Sir Paul than Lionel Richie, but that's just me...

Thanks BroKen. That ride is a great idea. I can already "hear" that it sounds better - I wonder why I didn't even think about it even though I struggled with the drum sound in the begining of the song. Thanks a lot.
And Sir Paul sounds a lot better than Lionel...LOL

Back