Goodbye Mr Pills*

Thanks for the listen jimistone. Appreciate the feedback.

I'm down to nudging things around by 0.25dB... I may be done. God knows I'm sick of the damn thing already...:laughings:

Thanks einstein! I'll address the intelligibility of the vocal below. Appreciate your input. I put some low end back in as a result.

Thanks for the listen dobro.

You've just listened to what must be the 6th or 7th version since the original post. On each version I have adjusted vocal automation, EQ and/or bumped the volume a bit. If you think they're not easy to understand now, you should have heard them then... :laughings:

The vocals are now way out there - almost to the point of burying the music. I'm considering turning them back down as I'm quite fond of my triple interweaving guitar lines, the skittering and harmonic lines in the bridge and the bass / drums which are being somewhat lost perhaps with the focus on the singing/lyrics. If you're (I'm using the global "you" here dobro:thumbs up:) not getting them now, then I'm not sure there's anything that I can further do that will help the situation. I think it's two things - enunciation and the style.

I've played this (latest version) to several people who are used to hearing me and other Australians sing and they get pretty much every word, first time, despite my singing on this tune in a partial American accent, which they've noted. And some of them aren't native Australians themselves. If they don't get every single syllable, they're in absolutely no doubt about the content.

So I think it's a combination of the rapid fire delivery of certain words, the accent and the way the tracking ended up - more volume on a couple of the really short words wouldn't make a difference even if I could do it, which I can't really... and... I'm perfectly fine with it. Working out the words is part of the joy of music, isn't it?:) Imagine we poor Aussies spending all our lives decoding Yank and Brit pop...

Anyway, the music existed well before I took the seed of the idea that TAE planted and turned it into this set of lyrics in about 10 minutes one night. I'm OK with how the vocals have ended up and the fact that some people can't understand them all.

Thank you all for your comments and assistance in the fine tuning. Any other suggestions, I'm all ears.:laughings:

Cheers

I'm reconciled. It's a really good tune.

When I shifted from the monitors to the Avantone (I'm playing with monitoring tonight) It's a nice balance of drums, bass, guitar and vocal. Some of the lyrics are still indistinct, but I think I can make out more of them this time on the small Avantone. Or maybe I'm just getting used to the tune cuz I've been listening to it more.

I'm reconciled. It's a really good tune.

When I shifted from the monitors to the Avantone (I'm playing with monitoring tonight) It's a nice balance of drums, bass, guitar and vocal. Some of the lyrics are still indistinct, but I think I can make out more of them this time on the small Avantone. Or maybe I'm just getting used to the tune cuz I've been listening to it more.

Thanks dobro... I'd actually gone back in and done a bit more automation surgery at the word/syllable level so that probably helped as well... but it's about as good as it's going to get now... ;)

Back