Good Value Semi-Hollow/Archtop guitars.

the echotone looks like it might be a viable option, maybe, i don't like the headstocks they look so cheap. Are Dean Guitars any good?

I know what you're saying about the headstock. That's the weakest part of their guitars - and the US built stuff has the same crappy looking headstock and cost several thousand! The build quality is definately there in the Echotone.

I would avoid the Deans - I have the Dean Playmate acoustic bass and a Mondo Mandolin. I bought them because the bass did sound good/was cheap and the Mondo is a one-of-a-kind design (9 string). But they don't hold a candle to the Hamer in overall build/finish/sound quality. The Dean electrics I've played are cheap feeling/sounding to me....

...But then again, it might be just what you're looking for :)

It's Hamer time baby!

keep an eye out for some older japanese knock offs.

I agree. Search eBay, Craigslist and the local pawnshop for Asian knockoffs... er, Um.. "tribute" guitars.

However, don't forget about the good 'ol USA brands. My favorite is Harmony guitars.
Harmony made OEM guitars in the USA for big chains like Sears (Silvertone), Wards (Airline), etc. plus their own brand.

The Rocket is a pretty good entry-level hollowbody series, and I'm lucky to have an H-78 3-pickup semi-hollow with a Bigsby. Look for the Harmony guitars with DeArmond pickups - they define the tone on these guitars.

You can often score a sweet 1960's Harmony Rocket for the price of a new Ibanez artcore. People even sell them at swapmeets and garage sales, because they're not well-known to modern players like Gibson, Ibanez & Fender.

Check out this excellent Harmony site for pics & models:
http://demont.net/harmony/

With a little bit of setup work a 40-year old guitar can sound excellent.

- Rickshaw

Awe man, there are actually quite a few harmony guitars on ebay. I need to get a credit card! especially without the missus finding out... haha.

The Rocket is a pretty good entry-level hollowbody series, and I'm lucky to have an H-78 3-pickup semi-hollow with a Bigsby. Look for the Harmony guitars with DeArmond pickups - they define the tone on these guitars.

You can often score a sweet 1960's Harmony Rocket for the price of a new Ibanez artcore. People even sell them at swapmeets and garage sales, because they're not well-known to modern players like Gibson, Ibanez & Fender.
- Rickshaw
Here's my Rocket.

Attachments

• rocket1.JPG
    rocket1.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Rocket2.JPG
    Rocket2.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 121
What about the cheapest Gretsch?:
gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G5120&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

Somebody know something about this model quality?

The Epiphone Sheraton II looks pretty good. I'm working on a deal to trade an amp for an older one. I've owned a couple of Epis, and the quality seems to be consistently reliable.

Although I'm happy with my Les Paul, I quite like the thin arch-top style (before the LP, my main axe was a '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent).

Speaking of Gretsches, some of them retain the oddball control and switching format of the USA made ones. My CG, for example, had a pickup selector knob, a tone selector knob (which in contrast to conventional tone controls that dial in treble rolloff) allowed you to select only 3 "tones:" no cap in the circuit; a cap that attenuated treble a little bit; and another one that attenuated treble a lot more; and a volume control for each pickup plus a "master" volume. A lot of controls for not much control, ultimately. Even so, it was my gigging guitar for 15 years.

Anyhow, I prefer the Gibson-style vol/vol/tone/tone for each pickup, which is how I'm ending up with a Sheraton II.

I have a Sheraton II - LOVELY beast & easy to play BUT the P/U toggle selector switch in mine is a dud. Has to be wiggled to select the bridge pickup. I did some research & it's a common prob with the brand. So buy it & put in a better switch.
Of course it's the humbucker to compliment my Bruno Royal Artists - a beautiful early 70's thin line semi with single coils - they pop up on ebay occasionally for around $300 - great cutting tone from the bridge.

I have a Sheraton II - LOVELY beast & easy to play BUT the P/U toggle selector switch in mine is a dud. Has to be wiggled to select the bridge pickup. I did some research & it's a common prob with the brand. So buy it & put in a better switch.
Of course it's the humbucker to compliment my Bruno Royal Artists - a beautiful early 70's thin line semi with single coils - they pop up on ebay occasionally for around $300 - great cutting tone from the bridge.

Yeah, my first move will be to check out the electronics. The one I am interested in is owned by a guitar tech so the switch may already have been replaced.

The same caveat is true for most inexpensive guitars. I sometimes feel like I've spent a major part of my life replacing pickups, switches and jacks.

I've tried a few Epi's including the Dot and liked them. I was impressed by the Peavey Rockingham too.

It would be worth checking out Yamaha too. I bought a second hand AES1500B (B stands for Bigsby, they do one without too) and it's fantastic - definitely the best all-round electric I have. The pickups are especially great - Dimarzio Q100 humbuckers that can be tapped into single coils.

This might be a bit beyond the 'value' status but some of the less expensive Yamahas would be worth trying out if you can.

Someone mentioned a Gib 335--one of my favs, too. I've been buying and selling guitars for 30 years, and one of the few that I've never parted with is very similar to a Gib 335. It's a Guild Starfire IV, of George Benson fame, and I mention it only because I believe--although I could be wrong--that there are some good deals for this one on ebay and elsewhere. A lot of folks don't realize that it's in the same league as a 335. And what a great guitar it is. I use it one day for warm jazz, another for screaming rock with great sustain--a quick change a strings is all it takes. It even has a master volume control, great for live or studio work. I'll never sell mine.

Good luck,
J.

from experience and conversations with my luthier who happens to be excellent at building jazz boxes .... you would have to give epiphone serious consideration.

the thing to bear in mind with epi's is that that you would have to factor into the equation a pro setup.....but other than that you should be home free.

Ibanez also got a worthy mention although i have never played them personally.

526044.jpg

gretch for $600 at musician's friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...romatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=514651

I like the Washburn HB-35 and the Oscar Schmidt OE30 better than the Dot Studio.

I think the OE30 needs alittle set-up work done on it, but it serves my purposes perfectly right now.

My favorite semi-hollow body is a cherry ES335 Gibson. They aren't cheap but they are very versitile and hold a high resale value.

Back