Good value for money large diaphragm condender microphone

giopad65

Hi everybody,
maybe the subject has been covered a thousand times, nevertheless I post the following question because I ifnd it difficult to seek for answers in such a big amount of threads. ;)

I am considering getting myself a couple of large diaphragm condenser microphones. They are intended for either studio (male voice) and live recording (I sing in a small polyphonic group, which performs in small concert halls, small churces, etc.).
I record music using a Fireface 400 audio interface connected to a Macbook Pro.

Since the recording activity wuold be quite occasional, I don't want to spend a lot of money.
I am reading a lot of good reviews about Rode NT1-A, SE Electronics 2200A, AKG C3000, to give you an idea of the price range.
What would you suggest? Is there some interesting brand I am not considering?

Thank you very much in advance.
Giovanni

I got the Sennheiser MK4 a few months back, and it has totally rocked. It runs about $300!

Also, another idea--you could always buy a used mic. Might get some better bang for the buck! There's a pretty wide "quality spectrum" in this price range.

I agree that the Sennheiser MK 4 is probably the best way to go - you get a lot of mic. for the money.

I would defintely NOT get the NT-1, or the C3000. I don't know where you read good reviews of them, but I would say that the general consensus is that they both pretty much suck. As far as 'male voice' goes, it's going to depend entirely on your voice. One size does not fit all. I also don't understand exactly what a 'polyphonic' group is. Do you mean an acapella group?

Not knowing the application, you might consider a Studio Projects B-1, or perhaps an MXL V67. Both are very well liked. The B-1 is considered a pretty good all-around mic - not particularly great at anything, but doesn't suck at anything either. Tons of people like the V67. I have one myself, and I don't care for it on my voice, but then I seem to be in the minority.

I would defintely NOT get the NT-1, or the C3000. I don't know where you read good reviews of them, but I would say that the general consensus is that they both pretty much suck. As far as 'male voice' goes, it's going to depend entirely on your voice. One size does not fit all. I also don't understand exactly what a 'polyphonic' group is. Do you mean an acapella group?
Thank for you interest.
My voice is baritone/bass, I happen to sing as lead vocal for myself (folk music).
My group is a small choir of some 15 people. We sing either a capella or with some acoustic instruments (celtic harp, flutes, guitar, some percussions). I usually record them with a couple of Rode M3 shotguns, but I'd like to have also some different kind of mikes.
I used to have the NT1-A's, which I sold because I needed money. I didn't find them to be bad, and the low noise was actually low. Now I am selling my AKG Perception 420's which I don't like (and they are too noisy, too).
When I talk about "good reviews" I refer to magazine reviews, not user ones. Maybe I should focus on what is written in the forums (well, after all this is why I am posting here. ;-))

Hi everybody,
maybe the subject has been covered a thousand times, nevertheless I post the following question because I ifnd it difficult to seek for answers in such a big amount of threads. ;)

I am considering getting myself a couple of large diaphragm condenser microphones. They are intended for either studio (male voice) and live recording (I sing in a small polyphonic group, which performs in small concert halls, small churces, etc.).
I record music using a Fireface 400 audio interface connected to a Macbook Pro.

Since the recording activity wuold be quite occasional, I don't want to spend a lot of money.
I am reading a lot of good reviews about Rode NT1-A, SE Electronics 2200A, AKG C3000, to give you an idea of the price range.
What would you suggest? Is there some interesting brand I am not considering?

Thank you very much in advance.
Giovanni

You didn't wrote your budget.

If you want to get a really good, lifetime mic which would work excellent on lots of different recordings, buy Brauner mic.

If you want to get a pretty good quality for really low budget, buy Rode.

Arturas

You didn't wrote your budget.

If you want to get a really good, lifetime mic which would work excellent on lots of different recordings, buy Brauner mic.

If you want to get a pretty good quality for really low budget, buy Rode.

Arturas
Hi, I didn't write the budget, but cited some microphones one should deduct the budget from.
I'm not willing to pay hundreds of euros because of the very occasional use. According to your suggestion, then, Rode should be the way, right?
Thank you,
Giovanni

I've always liked the CAD M9 for male vocals (and tenors in particular). It's a great all-around LDC as long as you don't need multiple patterns.

If you're looking to brighten up the vocals a bit, most of the other mics listed in this thread would be good choices. Pretty much everything everyone has listed is a bit on the bright side for my tastes. :)

Of the three you mention, I'd go for the sE2200A. I bought my first one in 2009 and now own 3 of them--and often use them in preference to some rather more expensive stuff I own.

However, to add a bit of confusion, my local supplier had me in about a week ago for a demo session of the new sE X1. It seemed damn impressive for the money--I haven't had any long term play time (but next time I have some spare cash it's on the list). Worth a look I'd say.

In general, sE do some very interesting and very musical mics for the money.

I'd second the opinion to avoid the NT-1, but also suggest adding the AudioTechnica 4033 (maybe even a used 4050 is you can afford it) into your pool. I've always enjoyed the 4033 as my fav. bang-for-the-buck LDC.

Back