Good Tumblr Themes for Music

240v

Super Perfectionist
Hi,

I just set up a domain with tumblr (takaperry.com). I was wondering if any of you know good themes for a musician to use on Tumblr. I also don't wanna pay $50 for one. Thanks.

What would be the features of a good tumblr theme for music? It seems like the blog paradigm would be tough to adapt for a music site.

Ok. So you've got the blog/news feed built in. That's pretty straightforward.
And I'm sure there's an easy way to embed an audio player widget.
And a lot of themes have quick links or navigation bars so you can point people to your merch page/epk/whatever pretty easily.
How would you handle posting shows though? If you have a number of shows coming up, it's good to have an obvious "tours" section for visitors to see.

To echo elbandito though. If you're serious about your music, $50 isn't a lot to pay for making your site look nice.
There's a concept from software engineering that says that you want your project to be good, cheap, and quick, but you can only pick two of those. If you want a nice looking theme that you can just slap onto your tumblr, it's gonna cost you. If you're willing to do the legwork to make a cheaper theme look nice, that can work too.

Thanks for the feedback :) being a teenager and all, money can be quite a problem at times. If Tumblr doesn't suit the job, do you think something like Weebly would?

I would vote for wordpress, as they have some real nice themes and plugins that are made specifically for music and musicians. But again, you've got to pay for the good ones. I would suggest saving up to buy a real nice theme that suits your needs and style. In the meantime, you could make a bandcamp/myspace/soundcloud/whatever page and direct your dotcom to that as a place holder. That way, ppl will be able to easily get to your music while you're putting together your proper website - Just make sure you let the visitors know that you've got a good website in the works and give an approximate date of completion in your blog post.

It's not that tumblr's bad for music. You'll just have to put in some legwork to make sure that your site is a coherent music site.

Of course, as a teenager with little money, you have plenty of free time, right? :D

Wordpress is pretty good. It's also supposed to be a "blog" site, but it's been around for longer and has a larger user base with more programmers. So it has more tools to adapt it to being a music site.

It's not that tumblr's bad for music. You'll just have to put in some legwork to make sure that your site is a coherent music site.

Of course, as a teenager with little money, you have plenty of free time, right? :D

Wordpress is pretty good. It's also supposed to be a "blog" site, but it's been around for longer and has a larger user base with more programmers. So it has more tools to adapt it to being a music site.

Thanks dude :) I'm on holidays so lots of time! :)

The one thing about Wordpress that I dont like is that they charge me to use my own domain that I've already purchased. I understand that they may have more tools.

I was looking around at different layouts that suit what I'm looking for. I found this , its $16, and I could then play around with it until I get it rights.

That looks pretty nice but I don't see a place for a music player widget... Personally, when I visit a site I don't want to have to scroll around looking for music to play.

That looks pretty nice but I don't see a place for a music player widget... Personally, when I visit a site I don't want to have to scroll around looking for music to play.

I'm thinking of putting it in where it says recent posts, on the very left

Back