Good soundcard for a laptop???

sarahb760

Hi, I have a Dell laptop with I think a SigmaTel Audio soundcard. Is there a souncard out there that I could get that would plug into a USB port, contain at least two plug-ins for headphones and at least one plug-in for a 1/4" microphone connection, be compatible with my computer and Cakewalk Sonar, and -- eek, here's the catcher -- is a reasonable price? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to recording and I don't have a whole lot of money and resources lying around, so...any help and details I could get would really be appreciated!!~*Sarah*

What exactly do you mean by a reasonable price?

And I don't think any USB devices out there come with double headphone out. Looking through 8thstreet confirmed that. You can always get a splitter, though, if you don't need independent volume control. There are a bunch of USB devices that accept microphone inputs in the 200 dollar range from Roland/Edirol, Tascam, and others. A couple guys on here use the Tascam US122, I believe...

I too am dumb

I just started looking into this recording through the lap top deal. I have a Dell Lattitude D600 w/1.3 gig, 512 ram (on one slot), and yes, the Sigma Tel Audio action. I was researching interfaces to buy, and I was going to go with the mbox. Then I talked to a buddy who has a lot of stuff laying around.

He is letting me borrow his m-audio duo and Sonar Producer. I made a song yesterday that was fun and everything seemed to work flawlessly. This was mind you, after about three hours of configuring. My understanding, is that when using a usb interface as your sound card you want to disable all other sound drivers. However, in order to get a midi output to go through the M-audio I had to find this driver helper thing ASIO FORALL . I don't really understand why, but once I got that going, I was able to do the midi stuff through the M-audio (I mean, in Sonar I could select a midi output and hear it through the m-audio).

So I have no midi inputs, but Sonar is running fine. I think I might buy a more expensive interface later, and probably when I do I will buy a PCMCIA firewire adapter thing because Firewire is supposed to run better. But if you are in for something cheap, just to see if you even want to do this stuff, the M-audio may be the ticket ($100 on ebay). Email me if you need help from another newb.

just purchased an M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card for my laptop (same Sigmatel onboard sound as you)...costs about $180...works like a champ.

Back