Good Rack Mounted Effects For Recordings/As apose to plug-ins (for software)

axeshredder

Which rack mounted Effects (delay,reverb,eq,etc) unit in your opinions is the best.

Im planning on doing Pc recordings and ive seen bad posts aobut plugins for software so im looking to use an external Unit (is it better?) Also if im using a MOTU 2408Mkii and a VLZ mackie pro mixer, where would this effects unit fit into the line of these devices? would i record a track to my pc .....then send it back out through the effects unit then back to pc?????????

any hellp opinions appreciated thx

first off, I might suggest that plugins are not as bad as you might have been led to believe. I use the Waves native I and II, and they are pretty nice to me. The trueverb is ok, but then again, the I and II bundles are more EQ's compressors, etc, rather than choruses, delays, and so on. There are some nice software versions of these effects however. For rack gear, you could start with the Lexicon PC series (80 and 90) to start with ...and they will both set you back about 3 grand for the pair..used. Plenty of other rack pieces for just a couple hundred bucks, and personal opinion has a lot to do in deciding the quality of them. In my opinion, most stuff is pretty decent now a days and you get a big bang for your buck ....more so than 10 years ago..that's for sure. Hit a music store or look in the catalogs or surf the websites and have a look. Plenty to see.

lexicon mpx100

jones must be speaking of the Lexicon MPX100, which is now just $200. I'm going to be buying one of these...check out the harmony-central reviews on it...sounds awesome. also do a search on the BBS for this unit. it's highly recommended.

I think the effects in external rack units are still better than most software plug-ins,reverb and compression especially so.
There is a bit of a debate (phony logic) about returning from the digital medium through your AD-DA converters being a bad idea due to losses in the converters.But your ears won't hear the difference,so if you DO hear a difference between external units and software plug-ins and its in favor of the rack unit,go for it.
Tom

Lexicon MPX100

Okay, here is what I don't like about the MPX100, yeah it sounds okay, but 1) I hate wal-warts, they suck and are a pain in the but...I've replaced more wal-wart power supplies than any other accessory or equipment I've ever owned. 2)what is with that crappy meter...you have one light to tell you that you have a signal, and a second that tells you that you are clipping....I like the Digitech S200 better in both those aspects. I do use the Lexicon however, and sound wise I am pleased, but there isn't as much control over the effects, and not as many options when it comes to editing your effects like the studio quad or the S200. Overall, I would not recomend the Lexicon, especially if you wanna edit FX to get reverbs taht work best for you and to be able to monitor the signal going into the processor with more efficiency. Just my opinion though.
Ben

I agree about the Mx100.....too limiting...sounded ok for the presets...but that is what you got..and only get. From all the praise it seems to get, I figured...shoot, only $200 for a Lexicon sound...take the gamble. I don't understand why people don't mention the Alesis Wedge more often. They're used on the market for about $125 over at Ebay all the time and they are MUCH more adjustable and sound just as good as the MX100 I think. I have a couple of them myself, in addtion to a variety of the $200 rack versions too. A 2 minute decay sounds pretty cool on some stuff (if you have the time!!)

I don't really understand about the mpx100 it seems fairly easy to adjust the parameters, and those programs have a pretty nice lexverb quality. Also have the mpx1 and in comparing the two gotta tell ya that 100 ain't a bad deal for 200 banudas!

Am I the onlyone that thinks the MPX100 doesn't sound at all as good as the classic PCM70?

I'm thinking of gettingone of these old PCM reverbs, since I think that Lexicons budget models aren't as smooth. Am I hallucinating?

Back