Good question, What should be mono, and what just be stereo

T.J.Hooker

Dudes

Boy! I kinda screwed up the title of the thread. It should be "should be stereo" not "just be stereo" I musta been subliminaly(hope I spelled that right) practicing my ebonics. Anyway,

What should be mono, and what should be stereo. Should drums be recorded stereo, what about bass, and guitar...
T.J.Hooker

[Edited by T.J.Hooker on 01-18-2001 at 22:31]

There ain't no "shoulds"...

I've mic'ed drums with 6 mics and panned them all over the place, but my last project used 2 mics on the drums, panned mono...

Do whatever you want to do...

Bass mono. Guitar, whatever. Vocals (unless you're Tonewoods, cuz he makes 'em sound AWESOME) mono. Piano HAS to be stereo. Drums HAVE to be stereo (and then some).

From there, effects can "create" stereo, but if they're listed as mono on here, originally record them as one track and add later.

Piano does sound nice in stereo, but there are occasions NOT to make it so. Depending on the song and how key the piano is to the mix, trying to fit in a stereo piano into a busy mix can be difficult - but if collapsed into mono, it can "tuck in" much more easily.

The same can be said of background vocals, even drums (but that'd be rare - well-recorded drums sound AWESOME in stereo!), depending on the situation.

This demonstrates exactly the reason there are no hard and fast rules - it's totally dependent on the needs of the song!

Bruce

Yeah, it depends on what kind of music you are working on.

I produce "house" tracks (dance music w/ a tempo of 128bpm to 140bpm).

I make my VOCALS, SAMPLES, KICKS and 808s in stereo.

I make my background vocals, stabs, scratches, and percussion in mono.

So, all in all, it all boils down to the projects specifications and the types of music you are working on.

Back