Good quality XLR Cables?

magic_joel

anyone got any advice on the best xlr cables i can get for the cheapest price? I'm looking for about 10

and how much could i save if i made them? how hard is it with no soldering experience?

I'm looking for around 10 meter cables, would this length of cable degrade the signal an audible amount or is that something im just worrying about for no reason?

Sorry for all the questions, all advice is appreciated

p.s I'm in the UK!

I like the Planet waves cables. Usually, I go for the black ones with the standard connectors they are much cheaper than the swivel/deluxe cables and I can't hear any difference. I got ten of them and none have failed me ;)

The audiopile cables are great and cheap.

Redco will custom build them for you with the cables and connectors of your choice, but they're generally more expensive.

Another nice thing I really like about the Pro Quad's is how smooth and easy the plugs connect and disconnect.

On the DIY side, XLR cables are pretty easy to solder (TRS cables are a little tougher, but not bad) - if you have a cheap cable, you can practice desoldering and resoldering it.

I got a bunch of Neutrik connectors from a local electronics store, and some decent cable at about 78 cents a foot, and made a few - I now like those better than the others, but mainly because the connectors are really nice and I "know and trust" the connection between the cable and the connectors, because I did it myself.

For short cables, there's not much savings with DIY, in my experience, because the connectors cost around $3 or $4 each (meaning as much as $8 for one cable just in connector cost), but since the price for commercial cables seems to go up disproportionately for longer lengths, you can start saving money there. I guess if you got cheap connectors you could do better, but that kind of defeats the point.

(edit: and it looks like those Pro-Quad cables are less expensive than what I've been paying for DIY at all lengths, and they look good to me :o)

There's some good DIY cable info in the DIY forum below this one.

i'm all for DIY... but at redco.com you can get highest of quality (or low too for that matter) almost for less than you can buy the parts...

Audiopile cables are great!

Or you can DIY...but after you finish your cables, you'll probably go back and re-solder the first couple that you were learning on.

Back