good preamp?

skiltrip

I am using a Tascam tm-d1000 mixer with an ADAT XT. As it is well known the preamps on the Tascam mixer are pretty crappy. What is a good preamp unit, either single or dual that i could purchase for $200 or less that would give me the best results. i am shooting for $150 tops but i'll pay a little more for better stuff. I am recording mostly acoustic guitar and vocals. Thanks...

Kip

Well...

If all you want to throw at it is $150-$200, I'd suggest you stick with the mixer pres for the time being until you can afford to REALLY upgrade... at the price you want to spend, you're not going to see much difference.

Bruce

ok, i'll spend...

ok, say i'm willing to spend more, then what should i be looking for. under $500 would be nice. i assume i can get a rather good preamp in that range.

Kip

I use Presonus stuff (the VXP) - there is a dual-channel version that is quite good - the MP20... unfortunately, both are above $500...

Actually, some people swear by the ART Tube ($200), but I don't know about it first-hand.... I still say you have to "pay to play" with the good stuff! ;)

Bruce

I agree with Bruce when he implies/suggests/says that you won't get what you're wanting to do with what you're wanting to spend.

So I'll confuse the picture a bit more... :) If you're only doing one or two tracks (acoustic guitar and vocals) you'd do well to look into getting your hands on a channel strip - a box with a preamp, EQ, and compression usually. You'll need two of 'em if you sing and play at the same time, but the control you have over the signal might well be worth the extra bucks sunk into the gear. I love control myself, so that's the route I've gone. Imagine being able to get a signal to disk that needs next to no tweaking... For $500 you can get an ace channel strip.

The Tascam would, of course, go the way of the velociraptor (they're not around anymore, except in movies, which are fantasies, and even then only movies by Spielberg, who is shameless and will make a movie about anything so long as it sells :)).

Back