Good Opporunity (Dont wanna mess it up, Plz Help)

hiphop24360

Okay,

through the university I am going to I have signed up for an audio production class starting january 14th, when I am in this class I am able to sign up for free studio time whenever I want as long as another student doesn't have it reserved, and the students at my particular university are less than enthusiastic so this means almost unlimited high quality studio time for 4 months.

Now they lock up the expensive equipment so I will be recording with a Rode K2-->Art2VLA (Super Super low compression, maybe none at all for this?) ----->BLA auteur preamp--->emu 0404 usb 2.0---->schools music computer.

Anyways the question is how should I do these recordings if I plan to have them professionally mixed and mastered, record them completely dry right? Should I even use the Art VLA compressor?

Because the mix and mastering engineer have all kinds of high end analog equipment they use on the tracks.

This is my one shot to produce studio quality music (can never afford studdio time) So I appreciate any advice I get.

Thank you.

Hmm. If you were there to learn it would be do all the experimenting you can, get your feet wet take chances make 'mistakes.
But I guess if it's free demo' time -then maybe play it real safe and just go for good solid performances and base tones.

I'm sure just using the space will have some rewards...but also keep in mind that you, in that space, with only a few low-budget pieces of gear and limited recording/production experience, will not necessarily yield "high quality studio" results.

Obvioulsy...take FULL advantage of the opportunity...I'm just sayin', don't have unrealistic expectations.
That said...if you can "get in", and become a "regular"...who knows, maybe they won't lock up all the high-end stuff at some point.
I would focus on developing a good rapport with the people who have the keys. :D

I would still use compression where you feel it is needed. I just wouldn't go crazy with it or effects. If you plan on having someone professionally mix it. However, the mastering engineer will be getting a cohesive balance of all of the finished tracks so if you didn't side chain that kick on track four, it's too late. And of course I would mainly use it as an opportunity to learn as much as I could more than trying to squeeze a record or demo out of it.

It's always best practice to record your tracks completely flat and dry then process them later. This applies even to compression.

The one possible exception to this can be setting the compressor to act as a limiter only with a threshold high enough that, with a proper gain structure, you are unlikely to hit it. I often work this way but set my gain structure so it should never get close to the limiter. However, even with the best gain structure, sometimes "things happen" and once or twice a year the limiter saves a take that would otherwise clip.

Whether you need to work this way will depend on your style and and what you're recording.

Best way is to record everything dry yes. But if you have nice pre-amps with EQ on them then don't be afraid to try out a LITTLE bit of EQ as long as it adds to the recordings. Only use a little though as you cannot undo this. :)

Keep your recording levels down low, peaking at around -10dB roughly. Record at 24bit depth, and as high a sample rate as your set up can handle.

Make sure you plan out as much of the recording sessions as possible way before you get studio time. This will mean you get more out of your studio time which is crucial as more than likely you will need more time than you expect.
Working out tempos of the songs and recording guide tracks at home are very good ways of saving a hell of a lot of studio time.

Make sure your musicians are very well practiced so they can play their parts with their eyes closed!

Lastly enjoy the experience and don't get too stressed out. :) Good luck.

G

The limiting factor is probably going to be your skill level. The equipment isn't the greatest, but it's definitely adequate and should get good results.

Now, when I record, 95% of the time my recording signal chain is mic->preamp->interface->DAW. Keep it simple and work on mic placement and sound at the source. Don't compress. I almost never compress until mixing.

Also, keep the input volume low...like -18-12. If you get higher you're gonna get close to clipping.

So, mic things up right, set the preamps right, keep the input volume low, keep your chain simple.

Get in and just have fun, press all the buttons and figure out how everything works. You'll have other opportunities to produce recordings!

thanks for the great advcice!!

First I plan to bring either a prof of a friend with a music engineering degrree (plenty of them) With me to kind of walk me around and show me the ropes.

This will also be a good chance o practice on mic place, automation boards, getting a real translation from studio monitors to in cars or w/e.

aaron coleman, particular thanks, I realize that my own skill we be the big holdback in this sitaution, but when you catch a break you gotta jump ALL over it now days.

gotya on the clipping, have 36 pg document in 12 print no spaces about all of the gems ive learned over the years here and on gearslutz for "General" rules, as it is music ans suppose to be creative so no "always compress vocals to -12 1/3 ratio plus 3' and that type crap that took my years to learn was crap...

miroslav
I'm sure just using the space will have some rewards...but also keep in mind that you, in that space, with only a few low-budget pieces of gear and limited recording/production experience, will not necessarily yield "high quality studio" results--- Thank you man, the best equipment in the word is no better than my knowledge of it combined with personal skill....I wsa thinking maybe if I had it mixed and mastared after the accoustics were good my odds would increase quite a bit though.

elctronic--- My atitude has been 100% the same as yours, this is a one time opportunity to no only get in the studio and almsos certainly rub shoulders with those I could only dream of as mentors. hopefully pick some tips up at least.

So the general populus says record completely try and save that for real mix engineers? THat was my thought originally as well

Thank you,

Rory.

(layed down first vocals tonight)

Remember and post a link to your work in this thread once it is ready so we can slate/praise it :)

G

Back