good mic/preamp to go w/ mr8

altcountry

Pulling together a first time set-up. Made most of my decisions already thanks to this forum. Mics and preamps are still a gray area for me however. Any suggestions for a good set-up that wont kill my budget? Been looking at 100-200$ mics and less for preamp, if possible.
Also, I have a deep voice with not much range (ala Johnny Cash)-any one mic better for this than another???

Thanks in advance.

I use a Behringer UB802 mixer for preamps and phantom power ($69). For mics I have used Shure SM58s, Beta 58a, and am now using mostly a MXL V67 studio condenser ($99).

Thanks KDG--I've been seriously considering the UB802 for a pre based on other recommendations. How about the ART studio tube- that UV meter seems to a handy feature and it's only 10$ more-any experience with that or knowledge of?

Also, I can't find an MXL V67. MusiciansFriend.com has other MXLs (990 for 59.99 and 992 for 199.99) Any knowledge of these?

Not familiar with the ART except for the fact that it was in the review I read about inexpensive preamps and was not rated as good as the UB series preamps.

I don't know why MF is not carrying the V67. Check under V67G.

mics

i have the 990 mxl , i like it very much.

the little mixer offers more then the pre amps, dont forget you will finally have some eq control......

v67 & shockmount

Here's a link to the 67 mic and the cheapest price ever on its (57) shockmount:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=mxl&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

You didn't really say what you wanted the mic for (the v67 generally gets a good rap as a VOCAL mic).

From your post I gather that you wan't to stay under $200 for mic + preamp, so I'll stay at/under $100 for the (condenser) mic:

You might also want to check out an SP B1 (although, without processing I find it a little grainy on vocals) if you're doing guitar work. Another inexpensive and versatile mic is the Octava 319 (usually at GC for ~$100, sometimes as low as $50). Check out the microphone treads on the forum---you'll get a ton of advice and even more opinions. You'll also info on preamps.

External preamps do a lot (including making a dynamic like an SM57 sound sweet) but don't sell the VF preamps short---they sound really quiet and clean withn a good mic.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
You're using an MR8, right? Consider the Studio Projects B1 mic, $100. with a shock mount. It's extremely versatile and very quiet. The Studio Projects VTB1 preamp is $129.00 for one channel. It's extremely quiet, and offers the option of dialing in a tube circuit for "warmth".

The M-Audio DMP-3 is also a very highly recommended preamp -- 2 channels for $150. It's also very quiet.

The MXL V67G is liked on voices. The Studio Projects B1 is nice on voices, but also can be used to mic guitars, drums etc. Very neutral.

Hey guys/gals,
I sincerely appreciate all the help. I've placed my order for my MR8 set-up/accessories. I took kdgospels recommendation on the behringer UB802. It fit well into my budget and I can always upgrade. For mic choice (vocals only)- I went with the MXL990, I know, I've been warned about those cheap mics, but it was also recommended as a good first mic by someone here. Again, I will probably upgrade once I get this recording thing down. I'm sure the more i mess with this stuff, the more I'll be able to tell the good from the bad from the mediocre, however subtle the differences may be. Maybe I should post my whole set-up I ordered to get some opinions, nah, I might get dissapointed.
Thanx again!

altcountry,
you will find as you become more involved in recording that you have contracted a disorder known as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It is usually not fatal--unless you fail to discuss purchases in advance with your significant other. If that occurs, all we can say is, "It's been nice knowing you."
BTW, the current price for the UB802 is $49.99 at Musician's Friend. I think someone earlier on this thread said it was $69.00.

a12stringer said:
altcountry,
you will find as you become more involved in recording that you have contracted a disorder known as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It is usually not fatal--unless you fail to discuss purchases in advance with your significant other. If that occurs, all we can say is, "It's been nice knowing you."
BTW, the current price for the UB802 is $49.99 at Musician's Friend. I think someone earlier on this thread said it was $69.00.

I should have waited. I bought my UB802 for $59 or $69 can't remember, but $49 is cheap. Mine has been well worth $69.

Back