Good mic Preamp for cheap budget??

Purelas

So I accidentally bought a power supply instead of a actual preamp and I only have a budget of around $30-$40 is there anything good?
Powering a MXL 990

Are you really looking for a pre amp or do you need an audio interface to get the signal from your mic into your computer?

In either case, I don't know anything in your price range. The cheapest Audio Interface (which includes the pre amp but also the converters to give you a USB feed for your computer) is something like the Alesis iO2 for about $100 at most big suppliers.

Are you really looking for a pre amp or do you need an audio interface to get the signal from your mic into your computer?

In either case, I don't know anything in your price range. The cheapest Audio Interface (which includes the pre amp but also the converters to give you a USB feed for your computer) is something like the Alesis iO2 for about $100 at most big suppliers.

Actually, the Behringer U-Phoria line has entries for $30 and $40. I have no idea how good/bad they are, but they have preamps, mic/line/instrument inputs. The cheaper one has RCA outputs and the super-high-dollar $40 one has 1/4" outputs.

I actually have one on the way (whenever they get off backorder) just so I can check it out and see if its worth recommending. I'm astonished at the price point, but my expectations are pretty low...

Interesting...the cheapest Uphoria I can get here in Australia is about the same price at the Alesis--and I trust the Alesis more.

I wonder how many units I'd have to buy in the US then sell in Australia to pay for my plane ticket to visit friends and buy some Behringer?

Maybe they are talking the little one UMC22, AU$152.

Whenever I see this as a preamp budget "I only have a budget of around $30-$40 is there anything good?" I think the quick answer is no. I did pick up a second hand Behringer MIC100 for AU$20 on Gumtree, I thought for $20 I must be able to use it for something, well the 2 things I have used it for are Distorted Harmonica mic input and as a line in distort a recorded clean guitar track by overdriving the daylights out of it. So it earned it's $20.

Alan.

Interesting...the cheapest Uphoria I can get here in Australia is about the same price at the Alesis--and I trust the Alesis more.

I wonder how many units I'd have to buy in the US then sell in Australia to pay for my plane ticket to visit friends and buy some Behringer?

We call that a "White Van Booze n Baccy Run" over here and it is highly illegal!

Dave.

We call that a "White Van Booze n Baccy Run" over here and it is highly illegal!

Dave.

Ok a bit of a history for the young ones LOL.

Back in the early 80's when VHS video can out, I wanted a portable video with a camera, the best unit was a JVC port-a-pack (port-a-pack :facepalm: yah right), it was a video machine in 2 parts, one part being a tuner for TV recording, and a recording / playback part that could run on a battery and take a camera input. As well as this I wanted the best camera I could afford. Total price in Australia at that time $3500, I think about $12,000 to $15,000 in todays $'s.

Booked a trip for 2 to Hong Kong for 2 weeks, bought the whole lot there for just over $1000, free holiday and change.

By the way, about 10 years back I gave the whole lot for free to a guy that loved fixing retro video gear. You could record a better video on an Iphone these days :facepalm:

Alan.

Yes Al' it is legal to buy booze in France for you own consumption (or give away at say a wedding) but it is illegal to sell the stuff on to finance the trip!

I watch the customs programme over here and the Oz officials are VERY nice on camera! Bet they are pretty heavy guys and gals OFF it!

Dave.

I watch the customs programme over here and the Oz officials are VERY nice on camera! Bet they are pretty heavy guys and gals OFF it!

Dave.

Years ago I used to get held up at customs every trip, questions about where I had been, luggage tipped out, asking if the ratty wrist watch I was waring was bought while away, etc, usually at 2am after a 10hr flight.

Then it stopped! I realised later that I had changed my passport occupation from Musician (which it was) to Engineer (which I also am).

Alan.

P.S sorry to get the thread off track.

Years ago I used to get held up at customs every trip, questions about where I had been, luggage tipped out, asking if the ratty wrist watch I was waring was bought while away, etc, usually at 2am after a 10hr flight.

Then it stopped! I realised later that I had changed my passport occupation from Musician (which it was) to Engineer (which I also am).

Alan.

P.S sorry to get the thread off track.

I bet Simon Rattle or Tiri does not have that problem! Same goes here for car insurance. NEVER tell them you are involved in the music industry, even slightly like PA/ recording.

Dave.

I've always called myself "engineer" or similar and rarely had problems...wearing a suit and tie (even if I didn't want to) seemed to help as well.

I wish I'd seen that deal for $20 first!

Anyhow, as far as this topic goes, bought new even something basic like a UCA202 (just two RCAs, no mic inputs) is around $70 new here. (I bought one a while back for simple playback duties in a small theatre where I work sometimes.)

I've always called myself "engineer" or similar and rarely had problems...wearing a suit and tie (even if I didn't want to) seemed to help as well.

I wish I'd seen that deal for $20 first!

Anyhow, as far as this topic goes, bought new even something basic like a UCA202 (just two RCAs, no mic inputs) is around $70 new here. (I bought one a while back for simple playback duties in a small theatre where I work sometimes.)

Hah! You DO seem to like slumming it Bobbs! Actually I have had two UCA 202s (son gave one to a mate) and they are very useful so long as you are aware of their limitations, 16bits, sudden onset lack of headroom and -10dBV operation.

As far as D/A playback is concerned there is a web article where a guy does some fairly stringent tests on one and concludes that as a playback device they are really rather good (after all, everything we playback is 16bits or worse!) .

Dave.

The Behringer TUBE ULTRAGAIN MIC200 is really very good (for the money £39 uk amazon)

I have one of these too, I think I paid about AU$80 for it. Because I often track live bands I can never have enough Pre's, it usually gets used on the kick drum, one channel for the internal mic and the other for the sub kick speaker.

Alan.

Hah! You DO seem to like slumming it Bobbs! Actually I have had two UCA 202s (son gave one to a mate) and they are very useful so long as you are aware of their limitations, 16bits, sudden onset lack of headroom and -10dBV operation.

As far as D/A playback is concerned there is a web article where a guy does some fairly stringent tests on one and concludes that as a playback device they are really rather good (after all, everything we playback is 16bits or worse!) .

Dave.

I have to admit I've never even tried the recording side. It gets used for playback-only duties at a small theatre where I work 3 or 4 times a year. The stuff they do there is all "traditional drama" (not musicals) and what passes for a mixer there has unbalanced -10dBV inputs anyway. Their set up is 4 auto cue CD players so I take my own computer playback in for my convenience. However, since I burn back up CDs for them in case I get hit by a bus, 16 bit is the norm anyway.

I have used the UCA to record a few times, with a laptop at a gig for a live off the desk demo, and also to record a lecture that was to be distributed later on line. Both times it worked fine for what I wanted, no noise issues and a clean recording. I also keep a couple of them laying around as a back up usually to play music from a laptop at gigs. For the price they are hard to beat :)

Alan.

The Behringer TUBE ULTRAGAIN MIC200 is really very good (for the money £39 uk amazon)

I have one of these too, I think I paid about AU$80 for it. Because I often track live bands I can never have enough Pre's, it usually gets used on the kick drum, one channel for the internal mic and the other for the sub kick speaker.

Alan.

How do you connect the TUBE ULTRAGAIN MIC200 To your pc?

Also I ordered the Behringer-U-PHORIA-UM2 somewhere for $30 (its like 50-70 on amazon wtf lol) but it is out of stock and I don't want to wait 3 weeks.
Well I want your opinions, Wait 3 weeks for my U phoria UM2 or Buy the MIC200 now and get it faster..

You need a USB interface to connect the MIC200 to a computer. When you get the UPHORIA UM2 you don't need to use the the MIC200 as it has a preamp in it. You can however use the MIC200 between the mic and UPHORIA UM2 to perhaps 'color/warm' the sound of the mic.

How do you connect the TUBE ULTRAGAIN MIC200 To your pc?

Also I ordered the Behringer-U-PHORIA-UM2 somewhere for $30 (its like 50-70 on amazon wtf lol) but it is out of stock and I don't want to wait 3 weeks.
Well I want your opinions, Wait 3 weeks for my U phoria UM2 or Buy the MIC200 now and get it faster..

I ordered the U-Phoria UMC22 about 3 weeks ago, I'm still waiting for it as well. I got it for $40, and they're going for $100 on Amazon! Same deal...supply and demand, I guess.

Like arcaxis said, once you get your U-Phoria, you won't really need the Ultragain unless you want to use more than 1 mic at a time (does the UM2 have a line input?) or you want a slightly different flavor of preamp. But in that price range, I can't imagine that the flavors will be all that different. The U-Phoria connects to your computer via USB and serves as your sound input and output for your computer.

Look for a used Scarlette solo. You can get one for like $50 and they're good for the price.

Back