good combo amp under $600

indiefolk

I own a gibson sonex-180 deluxe, and I feed in through a crybaby wah pedal and a marshall distortion box. I own a half stack, but transporting it is a real pain in the ass and am looking for a good combo that has a good low end and can still have crisp highs, I HATE mids- they always seem to make my tone too muddy. Solid states usually piss me off, to damn tinny for me when I want my tone to have some balls- O.k imagine Godsmacks guitar tone only its got MORE low end. My half stack is on a bass cabinet with 13's (four of them) help pleez!

peavey bandit amp.....light weight, rugged, sounds fantastic. The new ones have the "transtube" technology which makes a huge difference in the sound of the bandit amps. I have one of these combos and its the only solid state amp I have ever liked. I have owned alot of amps and been playing close to 30 years. I also have a 100 watt marshall but i don't gig with it anymore...to much like work getting it in and out of the club.

What's with all the Fender recommendations? The guy says he wants low end like Godsmack. Fender ain't gonna cut it. Instead of just posting favorite combos, maybe people should take into account what indiefolk wants.

If you really want a ballsy low end tone in a combo, the Rectifier is pretty decent. However, this is out of your price range.

darrin_h2000 recommended a Tech 21. These amps are generally excellent. However, I can't comment on their ability to get that low end tone.

Peavey does make some good combos with balls. I've got a Bravo, which can get very ballsy, almost too much low end. I can't comment on the Transtube line.

Of course, for real balls-to-the-wall tones, I use my TriAxis. :D

For a ballsy sub-$600 amp, look into the Marshall Valvestate series. Not the most durable thing in the world, but if you're gentle with it, it'll hold up. Gallien Krueger also makes some nice ballsy stuff in that price range (or at least they used to - are they still in the guitar amp business?)

Re: Fender

I've gotten some monstrous tones out of Fender Performer 1000 series heads. Just because their primary guitars are Strats and Teles, doesn't mean they can't make an amp that kicks the low end.

One more thing.

You're going to have a hell of a time mixing guitars with that much bass overtone without washing out your bass and kick. Listen carefully to the sounds of bands like Pantera and Godsmack - the guitars aren't as bassy as you think they are - they're just scooped out in the middle - which gives the listener a false sense of extra bass.

Bandit it is!

Yup. That Peavey Bandit 112 is fine shit. Got one myself, and although I am mainly a heavy/thrash/speed-metal guitarplayer, I use it in my soul/funk/disco-cover band as well.
With the pre and post-gain knobs on the lead-channel you can make tons of sounds.
I A/B-ed the Bandit against a Fender RockPro 1000, and a Marshall Valvestate VS100.

Fender=great clean sounds, nice rugged metal grille. distorted sounds too thin for me. Price too high.

Marshall= nice crunch sounds, hi-gain could be higher :), clean sounds suck! Build quality isn't all that either; plastic plugs etc.

Peavey= best of both worlds, clean=nice, crisp; OD/DS= from Santana/Gilmour to Slayer/Maiden! Work with the thrash and gain-boost buttons!

Oh yeah, the 2 channels don't share the EQ, very handy!
Peavey Bandit 112 was elected as the most durable practice room amp.

Buy one. NOW! :)

cheerz

amt7565 said:
Did you check those Fender cyber twins? They are fantastic!!
They got a 1 speaker model for $700.00 and a twin speaker for $1200.00.

He said sub-$600 didn't he???? Honestly. Plus the Cyber Twin models FENDER amps, that give FENDER tone, not a Godsmack esque tone, but a Stevie Ray esque tone. Granted, it has some heavy models too, but they are very much put into the background. I'd have to suggest the Valvestate too, they have that raunchy no mids sound going on. I haven't tried the new AVT's a lot yet, but the older ones are probably right up your guitar tone alley.

Jake

Everyone seems to be experts and a full of eager advise. Anyway, High quality amps are made by world class Engineers and Musicians. They can't be wrong with their end product. Also, if anyone is using external effects, they mask the true sound of the amps. After music is released on a CD can anyone guess what amp was used? No!

So go and buy any amp under $600.00. NOW! ;)

Ummmmm, NO! Yes you can sometimes tell what kind of amp was used, or at least can tell a Fender Twin from a Mesa Dual Rec, they sound DIFFERENT, a LOT different. You're saying that buy any amp under $600and you'll be good, too bad it is very far from! Sure engineers have put time into an amp, but that doesn't make it good! I have a nice Marshall G15RCD up for sale right now at a great price of $599, you must want it, email me for more info! I usually won't knock someones advice on this level, but that was just stupidity exemplified into a bulletin board post.

Jake

If you can find a used Mesa/Boogie Simulclass with the graphic EQ that hasn't been molested by some wanna-be amp tech that's the ticket! More gain & bottom end than you could ever use.:)

Re: Bandit it is!

Speeddemon said:
Peavey= best of both worlds, clean=nice, crisp; OD/DS= from Santana/Gilmour to Slayer/Maiden! Work with the thrash and gain-boost buttons!

BAH!

Peavey made 2 good amps and a whole lot of junk.

The EVH heads are/were great, and the Deuce VT combos were awesome.

The distortion settings on just about any other Peavey I've ever heard (spanning 25 years of Peaveys) sound so cheesy as to be atrocious - like feeble misrepresentations of amps they wish they could be....

Re: Re: Bandit it is!

Griffinator said:

BAH!

Peavey made 2 good amps and a whole lot of junk.

The EVH heads are/were great, and the Deuce VT combos were awesome.

The distortion settings on just about any other Peavey I've ever heard (spanning 25 years of Peaveys) sound so cheesy as to be atrocious - like feeble misrepresentations of amps they wish they could be....

Read my whole post, Grif. If you can point me at a better rugged, allround 100W combo for $350, I'll be glad to hear it.
It's my opinion, and I think, a lot of folks here think to highly of Marshall.
Sure, there are tons of better amps than a Bandit, but who can afford: H&K Tri-Amp, Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Line6 Vetta, etc.?

Back