Good cheap mic-and-preamp combination suggestions

parkbirds

The mics I’m using are an AKG C1000S, Shure SM57 and some unmentionables. I am just a novice, but after a year or so of recording with one C1000S I find it is harsh on vocals. Anyway, I am looking to get a new mic, I was planning on buying another C1000S but I want to change it up a bit, maybe a Studio Projects B1 people seem to like those.

But, the only problem is, I don’t have a preamp, just using a crappy Behringer; Any suggestions for a good third mic/preamp combination? If we could keep it under $250 that would be great. Thanks! I like things a little dirty and old sounding if that helps.

The SP B1 is a great choice... it's VERY smooth, and you won't have to worry about the harsh top end with this one. They sell for $79-$85 on the west coast.

For a low cost preamp, check out the ART Tube MP ($60 at MF) for a fat, warm, round sound, or the AudioBuddy ($80 at GC) for a clean, fairly uncolored sound. Feature-wise, they're similar (except the ART has both unbalanced 1/4" and balanced XLR inputs and outputs, which the AudioBuddy doesn't have).

The condenser microphones won't be as fussy about the mic pre as your SM57. If the Studio Projects VTB-1 still (?) is going down to around $130 in 6 weeks or so, you could use the remaining money elsewhere. What would you think about selling your C1000
and using the extra $$ to get two Studio Project B1's?.

Then you could also do stereo recording with a better quality microphone than the C1000.

Chris

chessparov said:
VTB-1 still (?) is going down to around $130 in 6 weeks or so, you could use the remaining money elsewhere. What would you think about selling your C1000
and using the extra $$ to get two Studio Project B1's?.

Then you could also do stereo recording with a better quality microphone than the C1000.

Chris

That is a great idea! I could sell the C1000S, why keep it? I don't really like it. I think I will buy a SP B1 and see how I like it, and then if it preferable I will ebay the C1000S and buy another SP B1!

Well, I am still looking at preamps, thanks for all the suggestions; That is a great idea! I could sell the C1000S, why keep it? I don't really like it, it hurts my ears. I think I will buy a SP B1 and see how I like it, and then if it preferable I will ebay the C1000S!
I’m still looking into preamps. I want a pre to color the sound in a lively way, so the pre’s with the 12AX7’s are looking really cool, especially the SP VTB1. I can wait if that price drop is for real… is it for real? Is there anything as cheap as an ART with a 12AX7 that is not ART?

Back