good acurate headphone?50to100 bucks?

ujamaa7

I'm looking for acurate headphones for mixing beats only. No vocals involved as of now. I have yamaha motif synth. I need some in the range of 50 to 100 dollars, any suggestions?

I'm really looking for acurate bass...should i go up on the price range you think?

Sennheiser HD280 headphones. Best purchase I've made so far, they sound very smooth and accurate even in the low range.

I had used the MoreMe's before, and they were good, but I prefer these for both tracking/listening to a mix.

It's still better to mix on inaccurate speakers than on headphones though, in my opinion.

Exactly what he/she said.

The HD280's are comfy and durable and sound pretty flat to me. I've got dozen or so More-Me's and I hand them out for tracking and practice sessions with out worry of use/abuse.

Headphones are great tools for detail listening and tracking but way too weird for mixing.

accurate

Basically what i mean by accurate is...I want the levels and bass etc; to sound the same through the headphones on a cd played on home stereo or boombox.

Basically what i mean by accurate is...I want the levels and bass etc; to sound the same through the headphones on a cd played on home stereo or boombox.

Then you're looking for some pretty inaccurate headphones. :p

What I mean by accurate, is that, the sound I hear through them is exactly what I heard while recording. Even down to the bass frequencies.

They also translate well to my speakers, so the difference between the 2 isn't really noticeable. The MoreMe's, for me, seemed to have a kind of muddy sound to them, and I always thought there was more bass than there actually was. Maybe it was just me though.

Not a big deal when just using them for tracking vocalists, guitars, etc., but when trying to get a good mic placement on acoustic, Harvey Gerst recommended the HD280's to me.

I had the Audio-Technicas psychedilicsoun mentioned for a long time, they are good. They died after about 8 years of hard use. I would have bought another pair but the store was out, so I bought the Sennheiser HD280s. Also have been very happy. They sound good plus have lots of isolation. On the downside, the foam part that cushions your head seems to be prone to coming off- after two pairs I gave up and gaff taped it on there, cause I liked the phones so much. For under $100 bucks either is a great choice.

About the M40fs- they are $120 phones...they were when I bought them, I was working at a music store....then AT basically started sending us six pairs for almost nothing with our AT orders when they introduced their new headphone series as a way to make some easy money with a great product.....the point is they were worth it for $120, and definitely for $50.

Personally, I prefer the Sony 7506 over the AT headphones, but the sennheisers do sound nice as well. Personally, I can not stand the more me's and only even use them in the studio when I am out of Sony's. The SOny's are louder, cleaner, clearer, more pleasing etc... That being said, the More Me's are also MUCH cheaper, pretty durable, great warranty etc... so they do have their purpose:)

Then you're looking for some pretty inaccurate headphones. :p

What I mean by accurate, is that, the sound I hear through them is exactly what I heard while recording. Even down to the bass frequencies.

They also translate well to my speakers, so the difference between the 2 isn't really noticeable. The MoreMe's, for me, seemed to have a kind of muddy sound to them, and I always thought there was more bass than there actually was. Maybe it was just me though.

Not a big deal when just using them for tracking vocalists, guitars, etc., but when trying to get a good mic placement on acoustic, Harvey Gerst recommended the HD280's to me.

What he said.

And I'll add to that that you want your MIX references (headphones and speakers) to be as deadly accurate as you can afford... which means they will NOT sound like boom boxes, iPods, car stereos, computer speakers, or other normal listening environments. Once you've mixed, you dump it to a cd/iPod and haul it around to all those other ugly environments and check there.

If you work from a headphone mix alone, you will not get an accurate representation of your intent, no matter what headphones you use.

Back