Good $100-$300 Mic for Vocals? Buying as a gift tomorrow. Cut down nose-holding vocs?

crewxp

Hey, I'm looking to buy a mic for my brother. He's good at piano and wants to start singing along with it.

He already has a Midi Piano, a good Piano VST Library, and a Line 6 UX2 Pre-Amp

I was looking at the SM57, SM58, AKG 220, AKG 420, and Rode NT1A. I'm a complete novice when it comes to recording, so if you guys could give your recommendation on a good mic for this price range, I would greatly appreciate it.

When he sings high notes, he sounds alright, but kind of sounds like he's holding his nose while he's singing a little bit. I know the proper thing to do for this would be to get him singing lessons. BUT... I figured a good mic would be nicer :P

But is there a mic that can cut down on the nose-holding part of the vocals and bring out the rest of his voice? I will attach a sample later if I can find one. He hits all the pitches, it's just its a bit annoying.

No mic will take away nasal sound. The 58 is about 100 bucks and works well for live, reasonable for recording but has a proximity effect.

That's quite the spread of mics there. From a 57 to an NT1A. I say get the 58, move your clothes to the lower peg, but only if you're writing your letter to your mother.

Back