Gonna buy me an Amp

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
Been using a Marshall Valvestate 2X12. Tube pre/SS power side. Not quite as "tubular" as I would like...clean or fuzz-wise.

I've just started shopping for a replacement that will never gig, and will just live out it's life down in my music room for recording. A 100 watt half stack is obvious over-kill, but I'm seeing a line of Marshalls in the $1,000 range. Very sexy! :o

Anyway, is there really any difference in sound when it comes to which size tubes an amp uses? Are there any amps out there that some of you really love or hate? All the music I'm into is 70-80ish classic rock. Sometimes I'll be recording, other times I'll just be seeing how many windows I can rattle! :D

What's all the hype with the Twin Reverb unit? Any good for my style of music, or is that more of a CLEAN type of amp?

Twin Reverb is clean for miles and miles. They take to pedals very well, though, so if you want some grit you can get it that way.

My fave combo amp is my AC30CC with Celestion Blues. Very versatile, from beautiful cleans on the Norm channel to gutsy Marshallesque tones on the Top Boost channel, or with the channels blended. But it's a bit above that $1K figure you mentioned. At 30 watts you might not think that it could ever get too loud, but the Blues are very efficient speakers and you can rattle your windows easily.

I'm not really a Marshall sort of guy myself, but I've been really intrigued by this:

http://www.amazon.com/Haze-15-Guitar-Amp-Head/dp/B002C5TGGU

There's also a 40-watt combo, but heads are just cool. :D That and a cab should still set you back less than a grand, and especially if you snag some sort of a 4x12 to go with that, 15 tube watts should be plenty loud, and will still give you nice power tube grind.

Hell, you could even do the "full stack" version with two 1x12 cabs, for $999. :D

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...81922&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=334451509

Anyway, with tube wattage, it's less about volume than it is about headroom. 100 watts will stay clean until you get VERY loud, while lower wattage (50, 30, or in this case 15) won't be nearly as clear, particularly in the low end, at a given volume, and will be more prone to overdriving, compression, and power-tube "sag." That's a VERY good thing, if you're into more classic rock sounds. If, meanwhile, you want crystal clear cleans, or a ton of clarity and depth for modern metal or whatnot, then more headroom is generally a plus.

This also looks cool:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Class-5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=621064

VERY low wattage, but I bet you'd be surprised at just how loud it can get, and it should record really well, giving you good power tube overdrive at manageable volumes.

I had a the 1/2stack version of a valestate once, I thought it sucked.. I think it came with some generic 12ax7. I was hoping it's sound 'tubey' and it didn't. Thankfully I got it so cheap I was able to sell it and recoup all the $$. The cab was cheap and undersized too..

My go-to amp in the studio is an Epi valve jr (5w) going thru a 2x12 vintage 30. It sounds 100x better.... And cost 1/4 the price!

Others will chime in with more info, but I just love being the first to reply, esp. when it's something I know what I am talking about... (EDIT: Damn! Got skunked while I was composing...)

You are on the right track to go with power amp tubes. That warm, fuzzy, "brown" distortion everybody loves comes from overdriven power amp tubes- there is simply no way you can get "that" sound any other way. Loved your use of the word "tubular," by the way.

The "size" tube (actually the type of tube) does make a difference in tone. Most tube amps use 6V6, 6L6, EL34 or EL84 as power tubes. Google each type for 15 times more information, and about 150 times more opinion than you could ever want on each.

Fender Twin Reverbs enjoy such a legendary rep because, in the golden age of rock 'n roll, they were freakin' everywhere- perhaps the stereotypical performance amp, with from 85 to 135 watts of output. Frankly, NOT what you want for a music room/home recording studio- but if you really want to rattle windows... my 135-watt version rattled the very FOUNDATION of my house. Scary. There is a version of the TR that has a 100 watt/25 watt switch, but you are still pushing air with 2 12's, and lugging around a huge, heavy amp. If you will NEVER play out (or if your playing out will be smaller halls) you will be much happier with a Fender Princeton Reverb. If you want to step up to a "mere" 20 watts, go with a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I have owned several vintage tube amps over the years- some of my favorites have included:

Peavey Classic 30- vintage looks, 30 watts, very good tone.
Peavey Delta Blues 210- same basic amp, add tremolo (I am just fruit for on-board tube tremolo.) Somewhat dumpy looks compared to the C30.
Fender Twin Reverb- 135 watts- STUPID loud. But wonderful tone.
100 watts. Almost as loud. Same wonderful tone.
Fender Pro Reverb- 65 watts. Same tone, more manageable. Under-appreciated, so a good deal.
Peavey Bravo 112- EL84 tubes, like a Marshall. Shouldda kept that one. VERY under-appreciated, and do NOT listen to the nay-sayers. A very good amp and an EXCELLENT value.
Ampeg VT-40 One of the few tube amps I have had that had a different kind of tube than listed above- 7027's, which gives it a unique tone. Worth checking out, esp. if you like to NOT follow the herd. Heavy and LOUD.
Fender Champ. Cool little practice, tube amp. one you should consider.
Fender Deluxe Reverb- my fav. amp, will probably stay that way unless I can score a Princeton Reverb for a very nice price.

I have also had some more modern tube amps:
Fender Champ 25SE- a sleeper, very good tone, esp. for a hybrid- BUT WAIT- it's got power tubes, the pre-amp side is SS.
Fender Super Champ XD- my favorite practice amp. Again, power tubes/SS pre.
Ampeg Reverberocket reissue- just got it, have not had much chance to play it, yet.
Fender Twin Reverb- '65 reissue. Also no chance to play it much, yet.

My top 3 suggestions:

1. Fender Deluxe Reverb
2. Fender Champ 25SE (really.)
3. Peavey Bravo 112.

and a couple more...
4. Fender Princeton Reverb (might be higher, but I haven't spend more than an afternoon with one, so I am reserving some judgement.)
5. Peavey Classic 30 or DB210.

200811_carvinx100_2.jpg

I have an Egnater Rebel 20. Inexpensive and short on features (no reverb or trem, 1 channel) but it uses both style tubes (American/Fender and Brit/Marshall) and you can blend them or run either alone. The difference is fairly subtle, surprisingly. Nice amp, good tone. It will do the classic sounds from either side of the pond. They have a new one out that runs 30 watts with more features but the same tube blending feature. Might be worth looking at.

lou

Are there any amps out there that some of you really love or hate? All the music I'm into is 70-80ish classic rock. Sometimes I'll be recording, other times I'll just be seeing how many windows I can rattle! :D

Is $1000 your price limit?

Are you open to previously owned...or does it have to be brand spanky new?

It sounds to me like you want a keeper amp for the duration...not just as a passing thing.

For the 70s-80s stuff....

1.) Check out Fargen amps (Mini and Mighty or the Olde 800)...there are some nice used ones on eBay right now in the price range.

2.) I picked up a Carr Hammerhead MKII a few months ago (dual EL34 power tubes)...and it can do those tones.
Carr just discontinued the Hammerhead 'cuz most of his customers are going for his different amp flavors...but the Hammerhead is kick-ass...and since they are out of production, one day they'll have some collector value...though that's not the reason to get one.
I saw a used head (black) and a used combo (red)...both in your range.
I have the head + 112 cab....

3.) Another one for your tones would be the Dr Z SRZ65....I want one of them!!!
There's a used one of those (older model)...but you can find the reissues used for about $1200 or so....that's just the head.

4.) Also...Top Hat makes a couple of EL34 amps that would really fit the bill...but it's rare to find 'em used...and they are not cheap new.

These are all Point-to-Point, quality hand-wired amps....the kind you keep for a lifetime...if that's what you want.

I had a Valvestate for about a week then traded it in on a JCM900 4100 with a 1960 Cabinet. All my songs in my link below were recorded using that amp. A tube amp sucks when the tubes go but while they work they can't be beat. Get a used Marshall tube amp and 4X12. It might cost you double what you're planning though, but it will last a long long time....

Have you auditioned any other amps???

How do you know what you want unless you try them?

People's opinions are just that. An opinion and a dollar might get you a cup of coffe at the local Stop & Rob.

Audition a few different amps you are interested in at the local M&P shop or Guitaripoff Center.

Don't discount 100 watt amps just because it is for recording. Low wattage tubes amps are all the rage right now but many of the circuits are so simple they end up only making one sound and have few if any features. Plus even 10 watts isn't exactly quiet.

Don't discount 100 watt amps just because it is for recording. Low wattage tubes amps are all the rage right now but many of the circuits are so simple they end up only making one sound and have few if any features. Plus even 10 watts isn't exactly quiet.

Yeah...that's very true...some 10W amps can kick pretty good.

I've used 100W amps for recording...I just slap an attenuator on it for overall volume control, they're just a drag moving around if you want a different room vibe...especially the huge stacks! :D
I've sold off the large amps I had.

I find the amps I'm liking the most these days are ones in the 20-40W range.
They're not too much for the studio, and yet they can cut it nicely it as gig/jam amps too.

I haven't auditioned anything yet. I'm leaning towards a minimum of 30 watts...just like horsepower: I'd rather have it and not need it, rather than.....

I'm not not gonna lie...I'm gonna be as influenced by cosmetics as sound quality. Face it...I have to look at this thing, too! This doesn't mean that I'm stuck on a half stack, but I do at least want a 2X12 combo at the smallest. :D

Help me out here...anything with separate GAIN and VOLUME controls is going to allow me to "saturate the tubes" by cranking gain, while adjusting overall volume, right?

Also...what is meant by "A/B" power? Is this another form of hybrid or tube/SS mix?

I'd like to stay at a grand, but would stretch a bit for big power, features, esthetics, etc.

Anybody heard anything about this Marshall MA series?

I was encouraged that Lou spoke up about his Egnator. I've seen these as well as the Blackheart and Bugera units, but have been apprehensive due to lack of familiarity.

Thanks for the input guys. This is obvioulsy gonna take some time. :cool:

Watch out for qc issues with the Bugera. Don't buy one that you haven't played. I don't mean the same model, I mean the actual amp. The separate gain and volume will let you saturate the preamp tubes, but to saturate the power tubes, which is where a lot of the signature sound of a particular amp comes from, you've got to crank it. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way around it. You can use an attenuator, but it does affect the sound.

Not that it's what your looking for, but I'm probably going to bring an Epi Jr. head to JF, to see what it sounds like though some other cabinets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Power_amplifier_classes

Not related to tube or ss design.

IDK about the MA's, They GOTTA be better than the valvestate and MG trash.. MF has em for $1029 and $1129 for the 50/100w versions respectively. When it comes to amps, my experience says u get what u pay for. They're supposedly 'entry level tube amps, without the frills and addons' of jcm's and dsl, etc.. But they have a few channels, fx loop, reverb, etc. Look at a jcm800 - it has NOTHING but basically eq and volume, and it's >$2k. So what's so 'entry level' about the MA's? Cheap tubes can be replaced cheaply. If the MA really has a nice marshall tubey tone, it's a winner. But does it........ I gotta say I'm skeptical, I'd have to try one out in the guitar shop or something.

Look at a jcm800 - it has NOTHING but basically eq and volume, and it's >$2k.

I have seen a couple of the now discontinued reissues with $2k asking prices, but that is supply and demand taking hold, and I personally wouldn't pay two grand for one. The reissues were about $1600 new and only because the cost to reissue them wasn't going to be made up for in volume of sales. The originals can still be had for $1000-1300. But even then, no one buys an 800 for its versatility, they buy it because the one thing it does do was the tonal foundation for 50 gazillion albums in the 80's.

I LOVE my attenuator, but the certainly have their limits. Just yesterday, I put it on both my Twin Reberbs ('77 SF and '92 reissue '65 BF) and I MUCH prefer the sound and tone of my Deluxe Reverb, attenuated.

I didn't mention the amps I spend an afternoon with- including a Matchless something-or-another. Seems there is nothing I can do that will get me off loving my Deluxe Reverb. Nothing I ever played through both immediately grabbed me by the shorts and made such sweet love to me, nor kept me enthralled for nearly as long. (That includes amps, NOT women- that is a subject for another day.)

Tons of good choices already, I'd add the Bogner Alchemist, and the Jet City stuff. Actually, play your cards right on the used market, you could get a little Jet City for the bedroom, and the Bogner 1x12 for the loud stuff.

Back