Golden Ratio acoustic room

MrWrenchey

I just wanted to start a bit of a discussion thread about this particular topic because I don't know very much about it and it's always seemed kind of interesting to me.

I was always told that a room with parallel walls isn't a good thing, but the way this sounds (if I'm correct, length is 1.6 times the height and width is 2.6 times the height), the golden ratio applies to rooms with parallel walls, correct? It'd just be a rectangular prism kind of shape. For example, a room with 16' ceilings, 24' long, 40' wide would be an ideal acoustic space as far as resonances and frequency response go, correct?

I'm not entirely sure, I'm kind of just hoping to start a discussion and see what every one has heard about the "golden ratio." :)

Using the golden ratio, or ϕ, prevents two dimensions from reinforcing the same resonant frequency. Non-parallel walls also help prevent resonant buildup at specific frequencies by breaking the infinite loop reflection path between two boundaries.

I'm kind of just hoping to start a discussion and see what every one has heard about the "golden ratio." :)

There's no perfect ratio, though there are many that are acceptable. The size of the room matters just as much as the ratio. Angled walls don't reduce mode problems, though they do avoid flutter echo and early reflections if the angle is sufficient. But that's a different issue. Much more here:

Graphical Mode Calculator

--Ethan

Back