Golden Age Project Pre 73 problem

diskobox

Hi!

I recently sold my Gap pre 73 which i thought was great and which worked perfectly for me, but I just wanted to put the money towards a higher end pre amp. 2 weeks later the person i sold it to is stating that its not working correctly for him, he describes the problem below in an email:

"I tried recording a kick drum which it, I have the output signal at full and slowly increase the input, when the pot gets to about half way which should give me a good level it clips, producing a high end pop and an extremely low frequency that you can see through the movenment of the speaker cone."

Obviously I can no longer test the unit myself so can anyone shed any light on whats going on?

Thanks!

could be a million things. I'd tell him start with the out the mic/line at -30, and the output at 0 (all the way left), and slowly increase the output until he sees the -10 and maybe a little of the 0 lights come on. If it works like that, he can experiment with the mic/line level higher and lower and see what it is.

The GAP does work on 3 different levels on the mic/line knob. So if it works at -30 and gets the pop at -60 (the other level), then there may be something wrong with the top end of the mic/line volume.

But, I'd bet it's something in the signal chain, or him just not understanding how the volumes interact and maybe clipping too much.

Back