Gold Channel?? DBX, MEEK, ART, ???

Jason James

Hey there everyone, I'm running a project studio and was wanting to upgrade my mic pre/compressor situation. Looking for something to use for vocals, bass, kick or snare, and guitars. I'm looking at the DBX 576 @ $799 (a little more than I'd like to spend), and the 376 @ $00. (there's also the provocal @ $299 and the 286A @ $219 that are very inexpensive.) ART make the Tube Channel @$299 and Pro Channel @ $639. Right now I'm using a Joe Meek VC3Q for this application. FYI I'm also replacing my Behringer with an Allen & Heath 16:2 DX to get better sounds on tracks going thru the mixer. I'm recording to a VSR-880 and will be getting another of these units soon. Any info would be grand. Thanks

J-3

I don't think any of the ones that you mention will be a significant upgrade from your vc3q. Maybe even a step down. Play around with that for a while, and see what kinds of sounds you can get out of it. Price aside, it's just a good little preamp / processor, capable of being more clean, accurate and even warmer than the dbx's and arts that you mention.

The Allen & Heath will be a nice upgrade from the Behringer, I'm sure. But as far as your "Gold Channel" goes, I'd stick to what you already got. If you think you're ready for a warmer, fatter sound, then scan the globe and try to get your hands on a Peavey vmp2. Otherwise, stick with the meek untill you're ready to shell out the big dollars on a Manley or Avalon.

Jason James said:
FYI I'm also replacing my Behringer with an Allen & Heath 16:2 DX to get better sounds on tracks going thru the mixer. I'm recording to a VSR-880 ........
J-3

That move right there will VASTLY improve your recordings 10-fold
alone!! Smart move!!!:cool:

Back