going pro tools

benherron.rrr

Hi guys,
I have recently decided to change from cubase 5 to pro tools. Being at uni, all the systems run logic (use pc), pro tools m-powered 8 and Cubase 4 studio. Using Cubase 5 makes transfering work to uni very time consuming. So I have decided to go pro tools to help with the transaction of work.

I have spent alot of time deciding weather to go m-powered or le. I was thinking about the mbox 3 pro because it is a step up from what I have already, and it seems to be a little future proof. or was thinking about m-powered, with a fast track ultra 8r or profire 2626 if I could stretch that far. but I hear the octane pres are a little on the bad side. Im a little more swayed towards the mbox

I would like to know what you think about the two versions? which do you think can give you the most bang for your buck? Also does anyone know when the mbox pro will be available (uk), Thank you!

one good reason to go with M-powered is that the m-audio gear will still work with other DAWs....Im not sure that you can use the M-box hardware with anything other than LE.

Thats why I have been looking at the avid pro tools mbox pro.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Mbox-Pro

They are now fully functional with other DAW's, apparently they are a complete over haul from the mbox 2, completely new pre amps, completly new cirtuitry, apparently ideantical parts to what apogee uses (bot to familial with the ins and out) and i cant really find any reliable reviews on this yet. I was going to go m-powered untill I saw this. people seem to belive you get slightly better treatment when buying le, Free upgrades, better plugins etc. but again nothing reliable.

I have a tendancy to make the wrong decisions, So just really want to know if there are any big reasons not to go for the new mbox pro?

A little birdie gave me the impression that m-powered might not be around much longer. With the recent announcement of PT Native, it started to make sense.

You can use an mbox with other DAWS.

It would be crazy if they dumped m powered! But crazier things have happened.

If you ask me it's crazy to come up with a native version that still needs a PCI card and only works with their over-priced interfaces. The fact that they aren't as expensive as the HD setup, not withstanding. There are still things that you cannot do on the Native system that every other DAW in the universe has been able to do since the dawn of time. It still doesn't compete price-wise with the normal Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc... user that doesn't have $6-9k to dump into a DAW. PTle competes, but has limited track count, crappy interfaces that you have to use, no delay compensation, etc...

They do a lot of crazy stuff over there.

Avid, while quite tactical in a bussiness sence. They dont make sence to the market they target, I like to belive that companies that make gear for this industry are there to make the customers happy and not feel screwed over.
Going pro tools makes me feel a little screwed over. Using Cubase I feel i have a quality product. Avid makes me feel like all they want is a little more money to make their product work on par. The lack of delay compensation is the worst thing. I thourght that was just common sence to include, instead you have to buy a plug in to do it for you.
However I cant escape the fact that having Pro tools will make the next 2 years of my life 1000000000 times easier.

From what I have read, alot of people belive (conspiracy or not) that Avid has a few tricks up their sleve reguarding the next generation of Pro Tools and interfaces. I have a little feeling about that too. Which is why (although I dont really want to give the company satisfaction) I should stay within Avid interfaces, then I may have a chance to move on to the next gen without another significant purchase. somthing that I dont belive will happen with their M-audio side. just a hunch though

I was around when they went from Mix-Plus to HD. If you had the old stuff, you had to toss it away and buy the new stuff. It really sucked for anyone who bought the Mix-Plus 9 months before HD came out.

What sucks the most is the fact that a PT mix-Plus rig with 24 i/o and all the stuff you could get with a $2000 investment in Cubase and Motu cost somewhere on the order of $25,000.

Do you use Pro tools now? There seems to be two types of people who use Pro Tools, those who are tied down to it by the industry and people they work around, and those who use it cause its teh bstest!

Almaost makes me cry seeing what I could of baught!

No I don't. I was working at a place that bought into Mix-Plus at the wrong time.

For my own studio I went with Nuendo and Motu. Early on, there were some big differences between Cubase and Nuendo. By the time SX3 came out, for music production Cubase had everything I normally use. But it's still cheaper to stay on the Nuendo upgrade path than to 'downgrade' to Cubase. If the two products diverge any more, I will probably switch to Cubase.

Im trying to get everything I can in the next 2 years while I can get educational versions. too bad Avid don't do anything for students. :(.

But retailers might. Try searching for the products you want to buy on Google Shopping. I tend to find a lot of educational deals on there.

Have tried that with no luck, its hard enough finding a store to buy the mbox from, My usual vender doesn't even have them listed, nor would they reply to my e-mail enquiring about when the pro is out.
Somthing just intreagued me:
Pro Tools Mbox Pro High-definition Desktop Studio. . does the high definition part have any significance, I mean I know you cant use HD with it. But It could mean somthing?

Avid dropped education discounts?! I bought my mbox 2 a couple years ago for $100 less than normal with education discount.

Things are changing there. I would wait. It might be easier to find a copy of Cubase 4 studio to do your school work on so you can transfer.

AHHH dont make things harder!
The way I was thinking was to go with the mbox pro so I could have all the features I need. I was thinking about going m-powered because I thourght I could get a little better. But thinking about it, like you said Avid is changing. So I thourght they wouldn't bring out a brand new mbox and then disown it a couple of months down the line. and since It is built to out run pro tools le. It seems to have room to grow. So i am trying to make a tactical decision. But knowing avid they will just demand more money, maybe Im hoping that this change is for the better

Have tried that with no luck, its hard enough finding a store to buy the mbox from, My usual vender doesn't even have them listed, nor would they reply to my e-mail enquiring about when the pro is out.

MBOX 3: http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/...B~p~-1320828307~acaid~1732750618~aff~5998.htm

MBOX 3 MINI: http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/...NI~p~1179931125~acaid~1204228642~aff~5998.htm

The URL says MBOX-2, but the site shows a 3. Either way, it proves academic is out there. I couldn't find an academic Pro though.

Back