Going into the soundcard!!!

JoeNewbie

Easy question?
What do you use to go from guitar/vocals/keyboard/v-drums/anything
to your soundcard(Wave 824) ? ....mixer...preamp.....nothing....other? and Why?

Come on guys.......... This is surely an easy question for somebody..... What is a good way to send audio into the soundcard?

all that gear into a small mixer and then out to the soundcard will probably be fine. Simple question yes.. but 50 possible answers

If the instrument works at line level, then nothing. Mics will need a preamp of some kind. I'm showing my ignorance in saying that I don't know what you need for a guitar... but if you're micing an amplifier, see previous statement.

There are many, _many_ different ways to do this... and it's half the battle of recording (okay, not half, bug a significant chunk)

Hope this is useful

William Underwood

JoeNewbie:

OK , here goes a help attempt. First, the Gadget Lab Wave 824 is supposedly a great sound card for the money . . . Good choice ! Now, if you are going to be recording guitar and vocals, I would buy a mixer. Why ? Because sooner or later you'll wish you did. Your 824 has balanced XLR & TRS inputs, but they are not preamped. I tried going without a mixer at first, and used a small mic preamp, but then I needed 48 volt phantom power for mics . . . channel inserts for compressor . . . you'll use it . . . trust me ! I bought a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro and love it . . . but, there are other makers of small mixers . . . read some reviews. I liked the Mackie's new quiet circuitry feature. It's quiet !!

For Guitar, if you are recording with a mic . . . ditto above . . . need a preamp. For electric guitar and bass, the 824's inputs are "low impedance", meaning you will need a direct injection ( DI ) box for best results. Electric guitar pickups are HIGH impedance !

If it were me, I'd spring for a Line6 POD ( as a matter of fact I did ). Output is +4Db or -10Db and compatible to Mackie or your Wave 824 . . . and the tones you get !!!! Just ask the POD owners here. The price of the original POD might drop too, since Line6 released the new nuclear rack-mount version.

Any good drum machine should go direct into the 824 ! I do all my percussion with MIDI, but I'm not sure how the 824 and MIDI work together. Keyboards . . . same thing.

In Summary,

1 ) Buy a decent Mixer ( suggest Mackie 1202-VLZpro $325 )
2 ) Buy the POD ( $250 - $275 at online Discount Music Store )
3 ) Buy a couple of good condenser microphones ( $$ to $$$$$ )
4 ) Buy a good stereo compressor limiter ( DBX, Behringer, Joemeek)

These items will allow you to get very good results with guitars, bass, and vocals. Hope this helped . . . enjoy and good luck !

Regards,
PAPicker

Back