Going digital: can I lose my mixer and just use mic preamps?

OldCopper

I am going digital. I'm getting a Wave/424 and Cakewalk Pro 9. I'll mix down to my CD-R.
I'm currently recording with EV 857B (vocal) and Sure BG4.1 (guitar) mics into a Mackie CR1604-VLZ. I feel like the somewhat noisy mixer with just-OK preamps is going to be my weak link. (I'll upgrade mics *someday*.) (BTW, I'm micing two singers and two guitars with matching EV and Sure mics.)

My newbie question is: can't I do without the mixer entirely, if I'm doing all my mixing and processing at the digital level, if I get good mic preamps (ART or similar)? Will I be lacking something?

Thanks!

If your going to mix everything digital, I see no need for a mixer. It's a little nmore tedeous mixing with a mouse IMO, but people are doing it. What program are you recording with? Do you have DX effects?

ametth

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ametth:
If your going to mix everything digital, I see no need for a mixer. It's a little nmore tedeous mixing with a mouse IMO, but people are doing it. What program are you recording with? Do you have DX effects?

ametth
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm planning to get Cakewalk PRO 9. I'll add effects after I figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Part of the attraction of keeping everything in the digital format is that I'm just setting up for recording. I have been working with a 4-track r-to-r and mixing down to the hard drive using Sound forge XP(I've just started doing that). I started looking at all the rack stuff I'd need like compressors, EQ, etc. and decided to go the digital route to save money and space. Is there more I need to know here? Should *some* processing be done on the rack?

At the same time I realized the need for a new sound card since all I have now is an on-board Soundblaster and it's not so great. Looking into the soundcard upgrade options I realized I could get a 4-in 4-out card and lose the 4-track.

To me it seems wacky to record onto the hard disk and then come back out to mix and then back in to mix down to CD-R. Once again, I do get background noise from the mixer so that's gotta be some consideration.

I appreciate any input. The options have got me dizzy...

Thanks!

Back