Gods Glory NM

Ashway

Please point out my many mistakes.. :D

https://soundcloud.com/peter-d-jakobsen/glory-of-god-nm

Updated version https://homerecording.com/bbs/redir...ndcloud.com/peter-d-jakobsen/glory-of-god-nm7

Second (last?) update:

I see you across the room.

You seem so lost.

You believe that you are doomed.

But that is just a lie.

Wave, wave, wave to the King, He's on his way.

Way way way, to this earth. 2x

You are loved.

I know you are.

The dark is cold.

His light so warm.

Wave, wave, wave to the King, He's on his way.

Way way way, to this earth. 2x

Last edited:
Hi,

This sounds pretty good over all but a few things drew my attention.
I thought the bass was too low throughout and the rhythm guitars were too prominent and maybe a little harsh?

Are you using some pseudo stereo effect on them? I'd loose it.

Vocals sound great.

Piano is unnaturally thin to my ears and over compressed, right?
Piano and guitars are making me dizzy.

Sounds like a lot of negatives but really I don't think it'd take much to make me happy.
It's not about making me happy though so take what you want. ;)

Is this an original composition? The chord progressions and harmonies after 2:00 were very cool!
Great vocals again and thanks for sharing.

Hi,

This sounds pretty good over all but a few things drew my attention.
I thought the bass was too low throughout and the rhythm guitars were too prominent and maybe a little harsh?

Are you using some pseudo stereo effect on them? I'd loose it.

Vocals sound great.

Piano is unnaturally thin to my ears and over compressed, right?
Piano and guitars are making me dizzy.

Sounds like a lot of negatives but really I don't think it'd take much to make me happy.
It's not about making me happy though so take what you want. ;)

Is this an original composition? The chord progressions and harmonies after 2:00 were very cool!
Great vocals again and thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for the comment.

I guess you are right about everything. I will look into it. It's an original composition yeah.. Pretty straight farward except the theatrical stuff in the end.

The guitars probably has a lot of things going on. I usually just choose some default setting in waves GTR. There are two guitars. One to each side with different effects on.

The left-right toms are too wide for my taste. Agree that the piano is thin and the guitars could use some meat. You could cut down the heavy panning/ping-ponging. Lyrically, there's not much to this song, but the music grabs you!

The left-right toms are too wide for my taste. Agree that the piano is thin and the guitars could use some meat. You could cut down the heavy panning/ping-ponging. Lyrically, there's not much to this song, but the music grabs you!

Thanks for the listen and for commenting. Perhaps I could build on the verses and skip the bridge?

Im actually using the LcR mixing method. Nothing in between. Its because Ive been listening to that recording revolution dude. So only Left center and Right panning.

Nice up tempo song. I agree guitars could have a little more meat. Bring the Toms in a bit. I tend to pan my toms too wide as well.

Vocals really work on this tune.

it sounds ok, could be improved further...

Lol. Anything specific?

Thank you very much for the comment.

I guess you are right about everything. I will look into it. It's an original composition yeah.. Pretty straight farward except the theatrical stuff in the end.

The guitars probably has a lot of things going on. I usually just choose some default setting in waves GTR. There are two guitars. One to each side with different effects on.

No problem. I hope you'll post again if there are any changes. :)

That can happen with multitrack guitars. You want them to sound different , of course, but if each is particularly prominent in a different frequency range it can be off-putting.
Waves GTR has plenty of amp/mic/cab choice, though, so maybe flick through and see if you can find a better fit.

I have the Waves GTR 3. I only use it for scratch tracks until I re-amp through my real amp. The Waves has a LOT of combinations and choices of sounds (Clean, overdrive, shred, modern, etc....), cabs, and mics. I've never spent too much time with it since it doesn't end up on my final recordings, but fooling around with it, I've seen that it can probably give you some pretty convincing tracks. I would play with it for a long time rather than just use pre-sets. I'm sure you can get some really good sounds out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot about this I really love. The vocals are awesome -- great performance and tone! The electric guitar tone strikes me as a tiny bit thin, and it seems a tad rushed throughout a lot of it.

My biggest nitpick isn't about the sound; it's about the groove. At first, I thought it was that there was too much syncopation going on, but on a second listen, I'm convinced it's the fact that the electric guitar is rushing a good bit and is really throwing the groove off, because when it's just drums, piano, and bass, it sounds good to me. If I were you, I'd take a close listen to the electric along with the drums to see if this is true. I think it is.

Other than that, I think the track is really great. Again ... the vocals are killer. Thanks for sharing!

Sounded decent to me.

Agree 100% with the wide toms comment. They play ping pong when you're on ear buds.

Good singing voice. Little pitch issue around :31? On the word "see". Not sure I'd call it a pitch issue, but the note seemed "off".

Guitar sound was kind of cool. I didn't like it at first, but by the end of the song it grew on me.

Bass is kind of sterile sounding. Bit of a bouncing rubber ball sound.

Drums have a canned sound.

Oh the lead-ish guitar near the end sounded good.

Some of the backing vocals doing the "ahs" near the end would sound better if there were more layers.

I really enjoyed this. Really good vocal. Agree with the guitar being a little too thin and harsh maybe.

The kick sounds like it's side-chained to the rest of the track. It comes in very strongly and makes the whole thing duck for a moment. It's punchy though, I'll give it that. I'd bring it down and bring the bass guitar up.
The toms sound pretty fake the way you've got it with the wide panning. They're too loud too during the part where they're hard panned.

The vocal and song reminds me a lot of Myles Kennedy doing Slash's solo stuff.

Gosh. Thank you guys for all the constructive comments! I will really give this a go! I'll post it here when I'm done.

And it seems like you all agree about certain things, so I will make a list from what you've said.

Thanks again!

Summary:

Piano: Unnaturally thin, overcompressed

Guitar: More meat. Too harsh, thin.

Vocals: A bit out of tune (31 secs etc)

Backing vocals: More layers on aah.

Drums: Fix Left Right panning, perhaps bring down level. Canned sound on the whole kit. Kick: Bring down.

Groove: Guitars seems rushed.

Bass: Rubber ball sound (love that one). Sterile. Too low.

To me the guitars don't sound in time with the rest of the music. Latency issues???? it's more noticeable when the rest of the band comes in before the vocals.

Also they sound like they sit on top of the mix instead of actually IN the mix.

To me the guitars don't sound in time with the rest of the music.

Weird I thought the same thing with the keyboard chords...weird timing odd placement ...to me as a by ear keyboard player..may be exactly the effect you were trying for.
Another nit pick is in the ooohs and ahs part...I would kill the piano notes and have the keys just play chords against the guitar riffs going on..really jangley busy..would sound better with just piano or organ chords there...but again that's subjective and you know what you want to achieve...Cool tune overall...great voice!

To me the guitars don't sound in time with the rest of the music. Latency issues???? it's more noticeable when the rest of the band comes in before the vocals.

Also they sound like they sit on top of the mix instead of actually IN the mix.

There has been one more comment on that. Like the guitars are rushing. If I play exactly in time the delay compensation in protools 11 makes the recorded track a tad too fast. So Ive had a real struggle playing everything in time. Both midi and audio. I will try syncing everything better though. And thanks !

Back